No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

New UN special envoy to Libya appointed

byNewsdesk1
August 11, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 11 August 2014:

The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has announced that UN  Secretary-General’s Special Representative . . .[restrict]to Libya, Tarek Mitri, will be replaced at the end of the month.

Bernadino Leon, who was appointed EU Special Envoy to Libya in May in addition to role as the EU’s Special Representative for the Southern Mediterranean, is taking over the post.

Although the news of Leon’s appointment was made public by British Ambassador Michael Aron on 8 August, UNSMIL did not release an official statement regarding the switch until today.  Nonetheless, it has been common gossip for some considerable time in the foreign diplomatic community in Tripoli (before it all but vanished by the end of last month) that Mitri would be replaced during the summer because it was recognised that a different style of operation was needed at the head of the UN mission.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

However, in a statement that Mitri would continue to serve as head of UN mission until September, when he would “hand over his duties to his successor”, UNSMIL said that Mitri had made it clear, when he renewed his one-year term a year ago, that he did not wish to stay in his post for more than two years.

It pointedly did not name his successor.

Like other international and foreign organisations, the UN has found it extremely difficult to operate in Libya given to the recent clashes in the capital. UN staff have relocated to Tunisia and are working from there. However, Mitri last spoke with the Security Council on 17 July by video from his native Lebanon, where he continues to reside.

Regarding the overall situation in Libya, the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights  has expressed deep concern over the effects of the conflicts concentrated in Tripoli and Benghazi.

In a statement released on 8 August, the Office stated that indiscriminate attacks are war crimes, as are attacks on civilians or civilian objects such as airports—unless such civilian facilities are being used for military purposes.

Addressing reports that the armed groups from both sides have taken prisoners and are subjecting them to torture, the Office added that torture is also a war crime, and that the perpetrators of any such crime in Libya as well as commanders who order of fail to stop the commission of such crimes could be prosecuted, including by the International Criminal Court.

The office appealed on all sides to immediately stop all violations of international law and said that it “hoped that the fighting itself would end and that Libyans would engage in peaceful dialogue to resolve their differences”. [/restrict]

Tags: LeonLibyaMitriUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Operation Dignity reaffirms that it will attack ships trying to enter Benghazi port

Operation Dignity reaffirms that it will attack ships trying to enter Benghazi port

Operation Dignity bombs Derna Port

Operation Dignity bombs Derna Port

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.