No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Human Rights Solidarity-Libya alleges Saiqa involvement in torture

byNewsdesk2
August 13, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 12 August 2014:

In a statement released today by Human Rights Solidarity-Libya, the organisation claimed that some prisoners at . . .[restrict]Saiqa Special Forces base in Benghazi’s Buatni district were tortured prior to the base being taken by Ansar Al-Sharia.

According to Human Rights Solidarity, which is based in Geneva, at least 40 individuals who had been arrested and detained at the base managed to escape during the chaos when Ansar Al-Sharia stormed it on 27 July. The human rights group says it interviewed the detainees and claims it was told of instances of torture at the base.

The report detailed the ill treatment of one detainee, who was called only by his initials, arrested by Saiqa Special Forces in late May and held at the base. This individual, the organisation says, described being beaten with an iron club, leading to serious head injuries and unconsciousness.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

He also allegedly reported degrading treatment, including urine poured on the detainees and being forced to eat during the month of Ramadan. He reportedly claimed that the guards were often drunk or high from smoking cannabis. Furthermore, he also reported that he had witnessed guards shooting and killing detainees at close range.

The report further mentioned the disappearance and subsequent death of two individuals, named as Isa Budlal Al-Bir Asa and Adel Al-Faturi, at the hands of Saiqa Forces and Operation Dignity members. The two were arrested on 8 June. According to Human Rights Solidarity, their families did not know where they were being kept. Later it was discovered that they were being held at the Saiqa base.

The day after their arrest, the organisation said, the two men’s bodies were found in a garbage dump in the Jira neighborhood, both bodies bearing signs of torture.

Human Rights Solidarity also condemned the use of Saiqa base as an unofficial Benghazi-based headquarters for the interim government. It said that in spite of the presence in Benghazi of a presidential office, many meetings of the cabinet and of ministerial committees were held at the base. Justice Minister Salah Marghani held meetings at the base, as well as other key government members.

The report also noted that some civil society organisations had conducted activities inside the base. It said this violated their principles of neutrality and transparency.

The organisation said it held Saiqa Special Forces fully responsible for all human rights violations which happened in the base, including the deaths of 35 people whose bodies were found after Saiqa Forces abandoned it. It called on Marghani to form a special committee to verify what crimes have been committed and bring the perpetrators to justice. It also called for a public announcement of the results of any findings by the committee.

Human Rights Solidarity reminded the government of Law No. 10 passed in 2013 which criminalises torture. It also emphasised Libya’s obligations to the international conventions it had signed. It called for full punishment under the law, not only for the perpetrators of torture, but also for those who ordered it and for those who could have stopped it from happening but did not.

The group reported that it was also concerned about the prevalence of assassinations in Benghazi and the lack of follow-up on the part of the government in investigating and prosecuting these crimes. It noted that there had been over 400 murders or assassinations in which the killers had not been brought to justice.

 

 

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: Human Rights SolidarityLibyaSaiqa Special Forcestorture

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Toyota Libya has not shut down: management

Expat community in Libya still shrinking

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.