No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Congress rump “appoints” Omar Hassi as Prime Minister

byMichel Cousins
August 26, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 25 August 2014:

An attempt by the former General National Congress to resurrect itself and take back power . . .[restrict]turned into farce today as it tried to “appoint” an emergency government to replace the caretaker administration of Prime Minister Abdullah-Al-Thinni.

According to a former Congress official, just 20 members turned up to the meeting that asked Omar Al-Hassi to head an emergency administration. Moreover, of those only five actually partcipated in the decision. However, Al-Nabaa TV, which opposes the House of Representatives and supports the Libya Dawn operation in Tripoli, claimed that 80 former members were present and that another 14 were awaited to make the “session” quorate.

In any event, even if there had been 94 members at the meeting, no appointment would have been legal under Congress’ own rules which stated that 120 members were needed to appoint a prime minster. Nor would anyone appointed by Congress as prime minister be accepted internationally. He might have the support of some towns and militias, but his administration would certainly be boycotted by the international community and would not be able to access any finds held abroad.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Originally from Shihat but now based in Benghazi, Hassi, a former member of the National Transitional Council, is seen as a firm Islamist and linked to the Muslim Brotherhood. He is a now member of the Benghazi Shoura Council, set up largely by Brotherhood members and supporters earlier this month in opposition to the Ansar Al-Sharia-dominated Benghazi Revolutionaries Shoura Council.

In April, he was the favourite of the Brotherhood’s political wing, the Justice & Construction Party (J&C), when Congress made its bid to replace Thinni with a new prime minister. In the vote, he came second to Ahmed Maetig who went on to a victory in the second round, only to find himself then humiliatingly rejected by the Constitutional Court.

Intriguingly, earlier today, Maetig’s media office was quoted claiming that he too had also been contacted by Congress officials asking him to lead up a new government.

Today’s “session” had been called by Nuri Abu Sahmain, its former president, in what was claimed as an attempt to try and stabilise the political situation in the country and end the increasingly dangerous polarisation – a state of affairs many Libyans accuse him of having helped create in the first place.

All members were sent a text message yesterday telling them to turn up at 11am today at the old Congress building next to Rixos Hotel, according to Amina Omar Al-Mahjoub, the J&C’s former member from Sorman. She said yesterday that she would most definitely be attending.

It is unclear whether today’s debacle will convince Abu Sahmain or the rump of the GNC that it is now history. “It’s crazy”, said one prominent Libyan political figure who did not want to be named, almost certainly summing up what the majority of Libyans feel about Congress’ bid to come back to life.

However Abu Sahmain, undeterred, has since issued an “order” sacking Thinni and appointing Hassi. The latter was given a week to come with a government which is supposed to then be sworn in by Congress. [/restrict]

Tags: General National CongressLibyaNuri Abu Sahmain

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libya’s neighbours meet in Cairo in bid to contain Libya's conflict

EU must unite to end people-smuggling disasters: IOM

EU must unite to end people-smuggling disasters: IOM

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.