No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s neighbours meet in Cairo in bid to contain Libya’s conflict

byNewsdesk1
August 25, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Cairo, 25 August 2014:

Egypt’s foreign minister Sameh Shoukri warned today that a spillover of the conflict in Libya could . . .[restrict]prompt foreign intervention. Both, he said, had to be avoided at all costs.

What was the fourth meeting between Libya’s neighbouring countries — Egypt, Chad, Tunisia, Algeria and Sudan — was hosted by Shoukri in Cairo just two days after Egypt officially denied it had been behind the mysterious airstrikes against Islamist strongholds in Tripoli.

During the meeting, the ministers discussed the importance of supporting the “legitimacy” of Libya’s state institutions and of preserving the nation’s unity and sovereignty.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

Shoukri stressed the importance of immediately forming and backing a new government in Libya, especially following the recent election of the House of Representatives on 25 June.

Egypt had felt the effects of the escalating Libyan situation, he said, mainly through the presence of extremist and terrorist elements which had upped their activities in Egypt and other countries through arms dealing and trafficking.

“This affects the sovereignty of neighbouring countries and threatens their stability. This could affect the interests of other countries outside the region and could lead to forms of intervention in Libyan affairs, which should be avoided,” he was quoted as saying.

The foreign ministers discussed an Egyptian proposal to disarm the different militias “simultaneously and without discrimination”, Shoukri said.

“Libya’s neighbours must put an end to the violence and make sure no one [in Libya] possesses weapons besides state institutions,” he insisted.

In order to achieve the goals of a national dialogue, the disarmament of all militias at the same time and the building up of state institutions such as the national army, Shoukri proposed the formation of two groups:  One group, headed by Egypt, would deal with the political aspects of the crisis, while the other, headed by Algeria, would address the security and military issues.

Libyan Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdelaziz strongly supported Shoukri’s propsoals, but did not share the Egyptian foreign minister’s reluctance to allow for foreign intervention, stating that Libya was “waiting” for the UN Security Council to send a “strong message” to end the fighting in Libya.

“There should be an effective dialogue in addition to international involvement in the long run to reconstruct the country’s institutions,” he explained.

Thus far, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has sent repeated “strong” messages to the warring militias, urging all parties to observe an immediate ceasefire and contribute to a national dialogue, but the calls seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Cairoforeign interventionLibyaTunisiaUNSMIL

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
EU must unite to end people-smuggling disasters: IOM

EU must unite to end people-smuggling disasters: IOM

Justice & Construction Party attacks parliament decision labelling Libya Dawn as terrorists

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.