No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Egypt reiterates Tripoli airstrike denial as US backtracks

byCallum Paton
August 27, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 27 August 2014:

The Egyptian Foreign Minister has restated his country’s policy of non-interference following . . .[restrict]last week’s foreign airstrikes on Tripoli.

The comments were made during an Egyptian cabinet meeting as Foreign Minister Sameh Shukri reported back on Monday’s and Tuesday’s talks in Cairo between Libya’s neighbours. The announcement was a swipe at claims published in the New York Times yesterday that Egypt had collaborated with the UAE to launch bombing raids on Tripoli.

The US State Department has meanwhile distanced itself from the statements made by American officials who had said they were surprised to learn of the airstrikes. Speaking at a press briefing yesterday State Department spokesperson Jennifer Psaki said it was “understood” that Egypt and the UAE had launched the strikes but that questions abut it should be referred to the two countries.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

New China-UAE-Benghazi Julyana Free Port shipping line inaugurated

The General National Congress (GNC), which attempted to reinstate itself as Libya’s legislature two days ago, has attributed the airstrikes to Egypt and the UAE, condemning them as a “flagrant violation of national sovereignty”. It said they contravened UN and Arab League conventions and called on its Arab neighbours to respond to the aggression.

Following the strikes, Libya Dawn immediately accused the UAE and Egypt of involvement. It was the first time the Emirates had been implicated in such attacks. Senior Libyan officials previously stated they believed either Algeria or Egypt to be involved.

Egypt, Chad, Tunisia, Algeria and Sudan have met in Cairo to discuss ways in which they can help put an end to violence in Libya. They fear the current instability could spill over into the wider region. Delegates have already commented that any further escalation could prompt a foreign intervention.

The House of Representatives, based in Tobruk, earlier this month requested a foreign intervention. The request was rejected by the Arab League and by many bodies in Libya.

Similarly France, Germany, Italy, the UK and the US have said that they believe that outside interference in Libya would only exacerbate the current divisions within the country and undermine Libya’s democratic transition.

[/restrict]

Tags: airstrikesEgyptLibyaTripoliUAEUS

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Libyan and Egyptian chiefs of staff discuss military cooperation

Libyan and Egyptian chiefs of staff discuss military cooperation

GNC is dead, Mufti is divisive: Faraj Buhashim, newly appointed HoR spokesperson

GNC is dead, Mufti is divisive: Faraj Buhashim, newly appointed HoR spokesperson

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.