No Result
View All Result
Monday, December 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ministry of Foreign Affairs attacks Turkish President’s ‘blatant interference’

byCallum Paton
September 1, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Zeidan & Erdogan
Turkish President Receb Erdogan last year with former prime minister Ali Zeidan (file photo)

Tripoli, 1 September 2014:

The Foreign Ministry has attacked Turkish President Recep Erdogan following statements he . . .[restrict]allegedly made calling the meeting of the House of Representatives in Tobruk “improper”.

Erdogan is reported to have said that Turkey “fundamentally cannot accept the parliament meeting in Tobruk”. The statement closely echoes those of the Misratan-led Libya Dawn Operation which also said yesterday that it would recognise the House of Representatives only if it met in Tripoli.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it was “surprised” by what it had perceived as the “blatant interference in Libyan internal affairs”. It called on Erdogan to clarify his statements noting that he had congratulated the newly-elected House of Representatives after it held its first session in Tobruk in August.

RELATED POSTS

Preparations for the resumption of the work of the Korean embassy in Tripoli discussed

After more than ten years, Libya settles debts and recovers ships from Malta

For its part, the Turkish Foreign Ministry has Turkey has condemned the Libyan position saying that any criticism of Erdogan’s views was “unacceptable”.

“The questioning of Mr President’s sincerity and feelings towards our Libyan brothers is, in the lightest way possible, totally unfair and unacceptable,” Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman Tanju Bilgic was quoted as saying by the Anadolu news agency.

The Turkish government is widely viewed in Libya as supporting the Libyan Muslim Brotherhood since the revolution, alongside Qatar. Libyan Muslim Brotherhood figures are known to visit Turkey regularly for meetings and use it as a safe haven.  The significance of Libya within the context of the region’s ideological fault-lines came to the fore last month when it emerged that the UAE and Egypt, both bitterly opposed to the brotherhood, had collaborated to bomb positions in Tripoli held by armed groups sympathetic to the Islamist movement.

The Tobruk-based Operation Dignity, which has offered protection to the House of Representatives, has been seen to have the backing of both Egypt and the UAE.

Last week Emirati authorities rounded up at least 30 Libyan nationals believed to have ties to the Muslim Brotherhood and Libya Dawn.

The Foreign Ministry reminded Turkish authorities that the the United Nations had recognised the legitimacy of the House of Representatives. The European Union, the Arab League, the African Union and the Gulf Cooperation Council have also recognised the new parliament.

[/restrict]

Tags: foreign ministryLibyaRecep EdroganTurkey

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
British Ambassador and UK Special Envoy in Tobruk

British Ambassador and UK Special Envoy in Tobruk

Operation Dignity jet crashes during Tobruk flyover

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration

    Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.