No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Uneasy calm in Obari after mediation on prisoner exchange

byMichel Cousins
September 21, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

Kufra, 21 September 2014:

Obari was reported relatively quiet this morning following four days of intermittent fighting between Tebus and . . .[restrict]Tuaregs in which at least eight people have died and seven were wounded.

Occasional gunfire could, however, still heard around the southwestern oasis town and despite mediation efforts by elders from Zintan, Brak Al-Shatti and the Hasawna tribe, it is reported that there are fears of further clashes. The Tuareg are said to have moved to the nearby Tendi mountain area.

The fighting started on 17 September after the Tuareg militia attempted to take control of the town’s petrol station, guarded by the largely Tebu joint security room. It is said that they also tried to take control of a nearby airfield.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“The town is largely calm now, although sporadic shooting can be heard,” a Tebu resident in Murzuk, Ahmed Tuka, told the Libya Herald.

With no communications and no electricity in the town, it has not been possible to contact residents directly. Tuka said he had been in contact with relatives living near Obari.

Yesterday, the mediators managed to ensure freedom for hostages taken by both sides.

“Mediators reached the town and met both fighting groups, former Defence Minister Osama Juwaili told this newspaper. “The mediators sought to keep peace and restore order in the town,” he said.

In addition to life having come to a standstill in the town, with shops and offices closed, there is also something medical crisis, with shortages of medicines and medical supplies at Obari hospital.

“There could be a humanitarian disaster if the clashes continue,” said Juwaili.

Although local Tuaregs stress that the militia which attacked four days ago has nothing to do with them, they appear to have been sucked into the conflict. It is reported that some of their homes were damaged in fighting in the town in the past couple of days when Tebus from outside Obari arrived to join the fight against the pro-Libya Dawn Tuareg militia.

The fighting has broken a more than century-old peace treaty between Tuaregs and Tebus in southern Libya.

It is not known if those in the militia are Libyan or foreign Tuaregs. It is claimed in the south that over the past three years, some 140,000 Tuaregs from Niger and Mali have taken shelter into Libya.

“They are well armed, unlike Libyan Tuaregs who have no weapons and no power,” stated one Tebu observer. [/restrict]

Continue Reading
Tags: LibyaObariTebutuareg

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Western towns meet over Western Mountain region security

Red Crescent flies medicines from Tripoli to Zintan

Red Crescent flies medicines from Tripoli to Zintan

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.