No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Violence: Benina clashes continue into fifth consecutive day

byCallum Paton
October 6, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Noora Ibrahim and Adam Ali.

Benghazi, 6 October 2014:

Nine more members of Saiqa Special Forces have died . . .[restrict]and three members of Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council (BRSC) were also reportedly killed as the identities of those slain in the last five days of fighting continue to emerge.

The Head of Saiqa Special Forces Investigations Unit, Fadel Al-Hassi, told the Libya Herald that BRSC had continued its assault on Benina from several points but that with the support of Operation Dignity’s air forces the attackers had been repulsed.

He said that airstrikes had also been carried out on Buatni which has become a staging post for Ansar Al-Sharia and its allies as they attack Benina.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

Hassi identified Saiqa’s dead as Ahmed Juma Gweri, Hamid Mansour, Salah Hamdi, Adel Mohamed, Saad Al-Khalifi, Mohamed Omar, Issa Bubakr, Mohamed Al-Badri and Mohamed Al-Afaf.

Ahmed Abid Al-Dressi, Abdullah Al-Khabasa and Abdullah Al-Moghrabi from BRSC were also reportedly killed in the clashes although medics at Benghazi Medical Centre (BMC) could only confirm the death of one of the three, Moghrabi.

The same medical sources explained that staff at the hospital were struggling to deal with the influx of dead and injured from the fighting. They explained that many of the bodies that had been brought in had not yet been processed.

While much of the recent violence in Benghazi has centred around Benina and surrounding areas, in the early hours of the morning a security building in the Sabri area was destroyed in a bomb attack. There were no human losses although the building was raised to the ground.

The latest surge in violence in Benghazi began on Thursday when BRSC carried out a double suicide bombing on Benina. Twenty four soldiers were  killed and 12 wounded in the initial blasts and subsequent fighting, according to the government.

Medical reports, however, put Thursday’s toll at 29 dead and dozens wounded. These are only the casualties on the army’s side. The number of BRSC’s dead and wounded was not disclosed.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziBenghazi Revolutionaries Shoura CouncilBeninaclashesLibya

Related Posts

GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Libya

NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

August 26, 2025
EUBAM delivers first aid medical equipment to Border Guards and Interior Ministry
Libya

EUBAM trains 30 Drugs Control Agency and Customs Authority officers in advanced hand-held x-ray scanners

August 26, 2025
Next Post

Father and son murdered in further Benghazi assassinations

Derna's rival Islamist militias fall out over Caliphate allegiance

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Aldabaiba broadly welcomes Tetteh’s new political Roadmap

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

Acting Minister of Oil and Gas Khalifa Abdel Sadig and US Chargé d’affaires Berndt discussions include developing oil sector

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.