No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HRW slams UAE over detained Libyans

byNigel Ash
October 7, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 6 October 2014:

Human Rights Watch has demanded that the United Arab Emirates reveal the whereabouts of ten . . .[restrict]Libyans apparently detained because of suspected ties to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Claiming that two of the Libyans, who are brothers, have been “forcibly disappeared”  HRW’s MENA director Joe Stork said that these were “grave international crimes that can place victims at serious risk of torture and cause their families anguish.” The key cause for concern, he explained was that local police had denied any knowledge of the two men.

Relatives of the brothers, Mohamed and Salim Elaradi are saying that neither man has been in contact since they were both detained  in Dubai on 28 August this year. They say that the authorities have refused to acknowledge that the Elaradis are in custody nor to say where they are being held.

RELATED POSTS

New China-UAE-Benghazi Julyana Free Port shipping line inaugurated

Libya and UAE sign MoU to lift air transport restrictions between the two countries

The family have said that Mohamed was summoned by police to go for questioning at Al Barsha police station at 8pm that evening. He returned home three hours later surrounded by plain clothes official, one of whom reportedly said that they were from Abu Dhabi. They searched the house and took away a laptop computer along with Mohamed, who they said would  be returning home soon.  That same evening Salim Elaradi was detained at a Dubai hotel and a computer and mobile phone seized in a search of his home.  However, the following day, officers at Al Barsha police station denied any knowledge of the brothers’ arrest.

HRW said that a fortnight before the pair were detained, immigration officials had questioned Mohamed for two hours about his political links and his relations with another brother, Abdulrazag, who they said was a member of the Muslim Brotherhood-linked Justice and Construction Party in Libya. Their family insist that neither Mohamed nor Salim is involved in politics.

HRW said it had been in touch with relatives of three more of the ten Libyans who are reported to have disappeared. All are members of the UAE business community.  The organisation said that families were reluctant to speak on the record for fear of the authorities.

HRW said that it had seen a 7 September message from the Libyan ambassador in the UAE  Aref Al- Nayed to the Libyan foreign ministry in Tripoli confirming the detention of the Elaradi brothers, as well as Kamal and Mohamed Kamal Eldarat. Mention was made of Libyans who also held UAE passports. Nayed reportedly said that his embassy was only responsible for Libyans who arrived in the UAE using their Libyan passports.

Two days after he had visited the UAE on 9 September, Prime Minster Abdullah Thinni said that seven Libyans had been detained. He did not name them, but insisted that Libyans accused of violating UAE laws would receive a fair trial. [/restrict]

Tags: detentionElaradi brothersLibyaUAE

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Fresh clashes in Aziziya reported

Thinni expected to go to Cairo for talks with President Sisi tomorrow

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.