No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Outbursts of sporadic violence as Benghazi prepares itself for day of armed demonstrations

byCallum Paton
October 15, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Outbursts of sporadic violence as Benghazi prepares itself for day of armed demonstrations

Image posted on Social media urging residents to take part in tomorrow's demonstrations (Photo: Social Media)

By Noora Ibrahim.

Image posted on Social media urging residents to take part in tomorrow's demonstrations (Photo: Social Media)
Image posted on Social media urging residents to take part in tomorrow’s demonstrations (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi, 14 October 2014:

Scenes of panic buying, empty shops and long petrol queues have been replicated across Benghazi this . . .[restrict]evening to the sound of sporadic gunfire and bombing as the city anticipates a day of widespread violence tomorrow.

Residents from Laithi, Shibna, Shara Al-Hijaz and Buhdeima, where the worst fighting is expected, have already begun to flee eastwards to Marj or elsewhere. There are reportedly large numbers of Ansar Al-Sharia supporters at checkpoints all along the road from Benghazi to Suluq.

The central district of Buhdeima, where clashes have already broken out, was expected to heed calls by pro-government forces to take to the streets with their weapons. However Laithi and Ras Obaida, where pro dignity demonstrations have also been planned are firmly in control of Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council (BRSC).

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

It is estimated that as many as 45,000 to 50,000 supporters of the Shoura Council are in and around Benghazi. Operation Dignity has asked its supporters to arrest those working with the Islamist coalition and hand them over.

The forces led by former General Khalifa Hafter have called on Benghazi residents to help them as they reenter the city tomorrow in whatever way they can. Everyone else has been told to stay indoors.

Despite the prelude to the violence, violence and fighting has continued in Benghazi throughout the day. Two members of Operation Dignity’s forces, Salim Al-Hassi, a Salafist, and Feisal Nasser Al-Umami were killed in fighting in Buatni today, Dignity spokesman Mohammed Al-Hejazi told the Libya Herald.

He said that BRSC convoys attempting to reinforce Ansar Al-Sharia positions in Gwarsha had been bombed by Operation Dignity and destroyed. Hejazi added that airstrikes had yet again been carried out on 17 February Brigade’s sprawling central Benghazi camp.

Last night, shells fell on Benghazi University and the residential area of Al-Masekin. There were no casualties reported as a result of the indiscriminate firing which is believed to have originated from BRSC positions.

Targeted killings by roving gunmen have also continued in the city. Intisar Al-Ojali and her 17-year-old son were shot and killed this afternoon. It appears the young man was targeted in the shooting, although the reason is unknown, and Intisar was merely in the wrong place at the wrong time. The son died instantly. She died later of her wounds after being caught in the crossfire, Hejazi explained.

Yesterday, Benghazi Security Directorate Colonel Zakariya Bujaldine was killed near his home in Belawn, medical staff at Benghazi Medical Centre (BMC) said. One of his neighbours, reportedly an elderly man, was also shot during the attack but is now said to be in a stable condition.

Four bodies have been recovered from Gwarsha and Buatni as the unknown casualties of previous battles continue to emerge from the rubble of Benghazi. Ahmed Saad Al-Jarari and Abdel Aziz Masoud Al-Barghati believed to have been killed in May were recovered from Buatni. The two others found in Gwarsha have not yet been identified. [/restrict]

Tags: 15 Octoberarmed demonstrationsBenghaziLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Fortnightly cargo flights start from Belgium to Mitiga

Air strikes target Islamist strongholds in Benghazi after morning of fierce clashes

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.