No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Heritage threatened by thieves and vandals, say experts

byMichel Cousins
October 20, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Heritage threatened by thieves and vandals, say experts

The Severan Basilica in Leptis Magna: thieves and vandals attacking Libya's heritage (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald staff.

The Severan Basilica in Leptis Magna: thieves and vandals attacking Libya's heritage (Photo: Social media)
The Severan Basilica in Leptis Magna: thieves and vandals attacking Libya’s heritage (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 19 October 2014:

Archaeologists and heritage experts have condemned a series of attacks on the country’s historical buildings . . .[restrict]and ruins which are increasingly suffering from vandalism and neglect.

Libyan archaeologist Dr Fadl Al-Korana has warned that some of the country’s key archaeological sites, including the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Leptis Magna and Sabratha, are being targeted by thieves and vandals.

Korana told Buwabat Al-Wasat news that eastern sites too were under particular threat, with some locals still laying claim to plots of land on the outskirts of the extensive ruins of Cyrene. Building projects, first reported in August last year, were able to continue unchecked, he said. Other sites in the Green Mountain area were routinely defaced with graffiti and damaged by small fires, or were used to graze livestock, Korana added.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL / UNESCO organise seminar for 17 Chief Prosecutors on use of modern technology in prosecution

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Thieves were able take what they wanted from the unguarded sites and, with a lack of properly-trained customs officials, he said these were at risk of being smuggled abroad. In Europe and elsewhere, there is a lucrative market for stolen antiquities.

The risk to Libya’s treasure trove of antiquities was brought home to Libya Herald staff not long ago while visiting Leptis Magna. While in the Severan Basilica, two men asked them  how much a piece of marble column sculpted with figures would fetch on the market in London or New York.

UNESCO, the UN organisation for culture and education, has urged all national and international partners “to reinforce actions and vigilance in order to protect Libya’s cultural heritage in the current context of rising unrest and insecurity”.

It put out the call after several attacks on historic mosques in Tripoli Old Town. It described these as a common heritage of all Libyans which were increasingly the deliberate target of vandalism and were at risk of looting and illicit trafficking.

Korana said that successive governments had neglected the country’s heritage, adding that there were no strict laws to protect historic sites. Before the revolution these sites had generated tens of thousands of dinars per month in entry fees, he said. This had helped to keep the sites safe as well as funding their upkeep but now vandals had a free reign to do whatever they wanted in broad daylight.

UNESCO offered assurances that it was now engaged with the Libyan authorities to reinforce emergency measures for cultural heritage protection. “An emergency and risk preparedness training course will be implemented in the forthcoming weeks to enable the authorities to carry out rapid assessment, documentation and monitoring of heritage,” it said.

Since the start of October, there have been a number of attacks on sites in Tripoli’s Old Town, including the 1738 Karamanli Mosque. Floors were dug up and marble was damaged and removed from the building, described as Tripoli’s most famous and beautiful mosque.

“I firmly condemn the recent attacks on cultural and religious heritage buildings in the old city of Tripoli. Looting and illicit trafficking of cultural objects can only deepen the wounds of the Libyan society, struggling for normalcy and recovery,” said the Director General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova.

She commended the citizens and volunteers in Tripoli who protected the Darghouth Mosque, also in the Old Town, when a group of armed men attempted to force their way into the premises.

“These attacks cannot be seen as isolated or collateral damages,” Bokova said. “They take place in a global context of repeated and deliberate attacks against cultural heritage, in Libya and elsewhere, threatening social cohesion and fuelling violence and division within society.” [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaUNESCO

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Leading Benghazi social worker slain

Libya Dawn claims Saudis behind Shara Mizran mosque attack

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.