No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fight for Benghazi port continues as fire rages in downtown hospital

byCallum Paton
November 14, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Fight for Benghazi port continues as fire rages in downtown hospital

Fires rage into the night at Benghazi's Jumhoriya Hospital (Photo: Social Media)

By Maha Suliman and Adam Ali.

Fires rage into the night at Benghazi's Jumhoriya Hospital (Photo: Social Media)
Fires rage into the night at Benghazi’s Jumhoriya Hospital (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi, 4 November 2014:

Violent clashes have erupted across Benghazi with fighting taking place . . .[restrict]in the city’s Sabri district where yesterday pro-government forces pushed towards the city’s seaport.

Saqr Adam Geroushi, the commander of Operation Dignity aircraft fighting under the banner of the Libyan National Army (LNA), told the Libya Herald that some small pockets of resistance remained in Sabri where a stray missile today struck the Jumhouriya maternity hospital.

The hospital was evacuated two days ago after it was threatened by nearby fighting. The Libyan Red Crescent helped ferry by ambulance seven newborn babies, five of whom were described as being in critical condition, to Benghazi Medical Centre (BMC).

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

Geroushi claimed Jumhouriya had been hit by an Ansar Al-Sharia rocket. He added that today warplanes under his command had carried out airstrikes on Ansar weapon and ammunition dumps in Laithi and on the Al-Nahr road.

One Benghazi resident said following yesterday’s clashes that the LNA now controlled all entrances and exits to and from the Sabri area. He said Ansar Al-Sharia had positioned themselves at Suq Al-Hood and had been successful in taking control of a nearby naval base which yesterday put up some resistance to the Islamist fighters.

The Libyan Navy ship that was hit by a missile in the stand-off has reportedly sunk, according to individuals living near the port. They explained, however, that the ship was not completely submerged because it had been moored in shallow waters.

One resident described the situation in Sabri as “very, very desperate” explaining that only roughly 30 percent of its inhabitants, mostly men, had remained behind during the fighting to protect their homes. “It is very, very dangerous” he said adding that some residents “don’t have anywhere to go so they have to stay”.

Elsewhere in the city clashes are raging tonight in several districts, with initial reports of fighting in Laithi, Fweihat, Tabalino, Majouri, Hay Salam, Bodeyma and Masekin among others.

One House of Representatives official today told this newspaper, perhaps over-enthusiastically, that on the back of gains they had made yesterday, government forces were now in control of central Benghazi.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Omar Al-Sunki announced the creation of a 2,000-strong security force to stabilise Benghazi. Precisely which personnel would be used to create the uinit or when it would be deployed was not said.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziclashesfeaturedLibyaportSabri

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Tunisia threatens to expel Libyans involved in political activity

Tunisia threatens to expel Libyans involved in political activity

France, US and UK petition UN to add Ansar Al-Sharia to terror list

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.