No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya Dawn denies the presence of Daesh in Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
November 21, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya Dawn denies the presence of Daesh in Tripoli

Supposed fighters in Tripoli pledging allegiance to Daesh. Libya Dawn says it is fake (Photo: Social media)

By Ali Salem.

Fighters in Tripoli . . .[restrict]purportedly pledging allegiance to Daesh; Libya Dawn says it is fake (Photo: Social media)
Supposed fighters in Tripoli pledging allegiance to Daesh. Libya Dawn says it is fake (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 21 November 2014:

Libya Dawn has denied that Daesh, the terrorist group backing an Islamic Caliphate, is in Tripoli or anywhere in western Libya.

A statement issued yesterday by Libya Dawn’s media office says reports to the contrary are part of a conspiracy by certain foreign governments to justify interfering in Libya and appropriating its wealth. Libya Dawn also accused the UN Secretary General’s Representative in Libya, Bernardino Leon, and a number of countries – Saudi Arabia was specifically mentioned –  of trying to destroy the Libyan revolution.

The statement follows the appearance of pictures on social media earlier this week purporting to show a group of Daesh supporters in Tripoli following the lead in Derna and pledging allegiance to the Caliphate.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Eastern Libyan government engages Turkish company to assess safety of dams

At the beginning of last month, Derna’s Shoura Council of Islamic Youth pledged allegiance to Daesh and to the man claiming to be caliph, known as Abubakr Al-Baghdadi. In a separate video this week, he announced he had accepted the Derna group’s loyalty. It has since been reported that he has split Libya into three vilayets or provinces – Tripoli, Barca (or Cyrenaica) and Fezzan – and appointed a person named as Ibrahim Ben Awad as his “emir” in Tripoli.

There has also been a claim from a Twitter account claiming to belong to the Tripoli vilayet that Daesh was responsible for the car bombing of the Egyptian and UAE embassies in the capital on 13 November.

In response, Libya Dawn has said that it had received intelligence reports showing that those who claimed to support Daesh in Tripoli were agents provocateur planted by foreign countries to discredit it.

The statement, which nonetheless implies that Daesh is present in eastern Libya, is being seen as an attempt by Libya Dawn to explain away the growing issue of the extremists in the west, despite the fact that Daesh flags have reportedly been seen recently in Tripoli and Daesh supporters are said to be present at the Majr camp in Zliten and also in Sabratha.

In a similar move, Omar Al-Hassi, appointed prime minister by Libya Dawn’s allies in the rump Congress, refuses to label as terrorists Ansar Al-Sharia – a major component of the same Derna Shoura Council of Islamic Youth that pledged its allegiance to Daesh – although yesterday it was designated as such by the UN. In interviews recently, he has called it a humanitarian and a missionary organisation. [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaCaliphateDaeshDernafeaturedLibyaLibya DawnTripoli

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Tripoli Municipal Council launches emergency helpline

Tripoli Municipal Council launches emergency helpline

Hawari Medical Centre attacked

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.