No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Afriqiyah snubs government over Misrata and Mitiga bans

byNigel Ash
December 27, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Afriqiyah snubs government over Misrata and Mitiga bans

Defiant Afriqiyah boss Abubaker Elfortia

By Libya Herald reporters.

Defiant Afriqiyah boss Abubaker Elfortia
Defiant Afriqiyah boss Abubaker Elfortia

Tripoli, 26 December 2014:

At least one Libyan airline is set to defy an order from the government in . . .[restrict]Beida that no carriers, including those from Libya, can use Misrata and Tripoli’s Mitiga airports, which provide the sole international air links within territory controlled by Libya Dawn.

The head of transport authority Khaled Musa has told the Libya Herald that any Libyan airline that continues to fly out of these two airfields will have its operating licence revoked.  He did not give a date for when the ban will come into force. Nor did  he stipulate the consequences that would overtake Turkish Airlines, which is the sole international carrier currently flying into Misrata, with a twice daily service and on-demand charter flights.

Tonight Abubaker Elfortia, boss of Afriqiyah Airways told this newspaper: “For us the people in Beida do not exist. They are not legitimate. They have sent military aircraft to strike at us. The Supreme Court made clear that they are not legitimate. We do not recognise them and what they say. We will continue to fly.”

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

The Ministry’s ruling means that Afriqiyah Airways,  Libyan Airlines, Ghadames Air Transport and Buraq Air, along with Global Aviation, Petro Air and the new carrier Libyan Wings will all be grounded if they disobey. This drastic action bypasses the Libyan Civil Aviation Authority, which has thus far failed to comply with an instruction from the Abdullah Al-Thinni government to relocate from Tripoli to Beida.

Elfortia said that only the LCAA had the power to introduce this level of ban. When asked if that body was not responsible to the government, he repeated that the government in Beida had no legal standing.

If Afriqiyah or any other carriers defy the ruling and lose their licences to operate, it will pose an issue for countries currently serviced by Libyan airlines. Elfortia said that Afriqiyah now has regular services to Istanbul, Amman, Casablanca, Tunis, Khartoum and Niamey.  Turkey, Jordan, Morocco, Tunisia, Sudan and Niger all still recognise the sole legitimacy of the Thinni government and the House of Representatives.

Therefore their civil aviation authorities might be forced to exclude Libyan carriers. The ban also highlights another issue which is that east-bound flights by Libyan carriers from Mitiga and Misrata have been obliged to land at either Labraq or Tobruk for security inspections.

Elfortia, who insists his only concern is to provide a good service to passengers from all part of Libya complained that the inspections, introduced last month,  have proved onerous.

“These checks can take up to three hours, as passengers and bag are screened. It just makes trouble. It is exhausting for our customers and it is exhausting for the crew.  It was clear that we could not continue this way so we have worked on another solution”.

That solution involves wet-leasing two aeroplanes from the Georgian aviation firm Aerovista, which has offices in Dubai.  The first of the Aerovista A320 aircraft leave for Istanbul tomorrow from Misrata. A second A320 will do the same trip on Sunday from Mitiga.  Neither, said Elfortia, would be stopping to be inspected at Labraq or Tobruk.

“Why should they? ” he asked, “ They are not Libyan aircraft. Therefore the inspection rule does not apply to them”.

When Aerovista announced its deal with Afriqiyah earlier this week, the company speculated that at some point, its aircraft could be used to resume Afriqiyah’s old routes into EU airspace, from which Libyan carriers have been banned under a voluntary deal since March 2012.

Afriqiyah had sidestepped this ban by re-registering two of its Airbuses in Ireland and outsourcing their operation to Dublin-based Air Contractors.  With these planes it serviced London Gatwick, Paris, Dusseldorf and Rome. This month the EU made the ban formal and mandatory. It prevents any flight originating in Libya from entering EU airspace because of what is considered serious embarkation security flaws at all Libyan airports. Thus even a wet-lease contract would not permit a Libyan airline to fly into Europe.

Elfortia said this evening that it was because of this that staff have been fired at the Afriqiyah’s London Gatwick European hub. “ We made some people redundant. We were over-staffed and we have reduced the numbers”.  He also confirmed that the airline has not renewed its agreements with service companies at Paris, Rome and Dusseldorf.

A member of staff at Gatwick said that the redundancy notices had been received the day before Christmas Eve: “We all suspected something like this was going to happen” he said, “So it was not a great surprise. But I have to say the timing was a bit of a shock ”. [/restrict]

Tags: AfriqiyahairlinesbanfeaturedKhaled MusaLibyaMisrataMitiga

Related Posts

Misrata Chamber of Commerce holds meeting with companies to discuss HoR’s new tax bill
Business

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba relaunches construction of Tripoli Gate’s Zumurrud Shopping Mall on Airport Road
Business

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

February 18, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Ministry of Economy invites Serbian companies to participate in 52nd Tripoli International Fair

February 18, 2026
‘‘Enhancing skills related to the green and blue economy to enhance employment opportunities’’ workshop held in Tripoli
Business

Ministry of Planning meets Libyan Industry Union to discuss support for nationally manufactured products

February 18, 2026
Policeman killed in UNDP Tripoli office attack
Business

Libyan institutions explore how emerging technologies can strengthen education and scientific research

February 18, 2026
Next Post
Victory claimed by both army and Ansar in Benghazi battle

Victory claimed by both army and Ansar in Benghazi battle

Libyan Wings takes delivery of second Airbus

Libyan Wings takes delivery of second Airbus

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.