No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Militants’ camp in Traghen attacked: report

byMichel Cousins
December 28, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

29 December 2014:

A camp used by jihadists near Traghen, south of Sebha, is reported to have been attacked . . .[restrict]this morning, but it is unclear by whom. There were said to have been huge explosions at ammunition store at the camp. One report speaks of a helicopter being involved in the attack and a number of militants captured. The incident apparently happened at 03:00 local time.

The camp is thought to be that being used by militants linked to Mokhtar Belmokhtar the Algerian former commander of Al-Qaeda in the Maghreb (AQIM) and now heading the group Al-Murabitoun. The camp has been the focus of intense US and French military interest.

One report claimed that French forces were involved. However, a French military specialist focusing on the area said it was extremely unlikely that French forces would be operating so far from the border with Niger and Chad.If there had been an attack he said, it was more likely to have involved US drones.

RELATED POSTS

Whiba Group’s Al-Dafniya Food Complex realizes first exports to France

Traghen Teaching Hospital completes installation of solar power system in its Kidney Department

Nonetheless, there have been persistent reports this month of French forces, part of the six-nation anti-jihadist Operation Barkhane, gathering on the Chadian side of the border. It has even been alleged that some of them, accompanied by Chadian forces, had crossed into Libya, although this has been denied by French diplomats.

In Paris, in an interview published today in the Journal du Dimanche and indicating increased French concern about southern Libya, France’s Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said that the area had become a “terrorist hub” and that dealing with it was a priority. Although a military operation by itself would be “sterile” without a political solution, Al-Qaeda and Daesh were merging into one in Libya, he said, and the United Nations and the African Union would have to take action on it in 2015. The world was entering into a new situation, he said. With an abundance of funds and weapons, the terrorists were becoming militarized. “It demands a military response”.

Meanwhile Khalid Al-Sharif, who has retained the position of deputy defence minister in Omar Al-Hassi’s Tripoli-based “government”, is reported today claiming that 67 Chadian military vehicles had crossed the border and accusing Chad of interfering in Libya’s internal affairs. The former commander in the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, was also reported saying that his forces would respond in due course. [/restrict]

Tags: Al-QaedaDaeshFranceLibyaTraghen

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Supreme Court decision on Political Isolation Law again postponed

Cash-strapped government agrees privatising telecoms to raise funds

Cash-strapped government agrees privatising telecoms to raise funds

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.