No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Greece and GNC condemn Derna tanker bombing; LNA claims tanker aroused suspicion

byNewsdesk1
January 6, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Greece and GNC condemn Derna tanker bombing; LNA claims tanker aroused suspicion

Araevo

By Libya Herald staff.

Araevo
The Araevo (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 6 January 2015:

Both Greece and the former General National Congress (GNC) have condemned the 4 January attack . . .[restrict]by the Libyan National Army (LNA) on the Greek-owned tanker Araevo two miles from Derna’s seaport that killed two people.The LNA maintains claims the tanker aroused suspicion by not following the proper protocol for approaching the port.

The Greek government has said that it would continue to investigate into the case, “in spite of the volatility of the situation”, to make sure that those responsible for the attack were brought to justice and punished, and the families of the victims compensated. A Greek Foreign Ministry statement added that it was doing “everything humanly possible to facilitate the immediate repatriation of the Greek seaman’s remains”.

Greece was, it said, in contact with the UN Special Envoy to Libya Bernadino Leon and EU High Representative Federica Mogherini about the attack.

RELATED POSTS

Two Libyan olive oil brands win gold at Athens International Olive Oil Competition 2024

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

In a statement released Monday, the continuing GNC strongly condemned the airstrike, calling it a “cowardly act that constitutes a criminal offence”.

According to LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mesmari, the tanker’s movements at the port of Derna had aroused suspicion and that it had been targeted because it had failed to submit to an inspection before entering the port and had chosen a different route, entering a “military zone”.

“We asked the ship to stop, but instead it turned off all its lights and would not respond so we were obliged to strike it,” Mesmari told the BBC.

Mesmari went on to say that the state-run National Oil Corporation (NOC) had been warned that ships should not dock at the port without prior permission, as the LNA has been watching the port for entering foreign fighters coming to join the Islamic militants that have been controlling Derna for the past two years.

Both Libya Dawn and the House of Representatives (HoR) have appointed their own officials to run the NOC and the oil ministry, which has lead to confusion over who controls what and who has shared information with whom.

For its part, the NOC has said that the Araevo was chartered by the NOC to ship 13,000 metric tonnes of fuel oil from the port in Brega to the port in Derna to fuel the eastern town’s power and desalination plants.

“We are extremely concerned about the vulnerability of the facilities in the oil and gas sector during the current conflict. The NOC wishes emphasise its impartiality and professionalism as we continue to ensure that fuel is distributed to all areas in Libya,” the NOC said Sunday in a statement.

One Greek and one Romanian were killed during Sunday’s airstrike, which damaged the front of the tanker. Athens-based operator of the Araevo, Aegean Shipping Enterprises, has confirmed that none of the oil spilled into the sea. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGNCGreeceLibyaLibya DawnLibyan National ArmyNOC

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Audit Bureau suspends five Libyan diplomats in France, Germany, Spain Greece and Turkey

Online forum offers Libyans opportunity to discuss constitutional drafting process

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.