No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon in surprise talks with Hafter

byMichel Cousins
January 9, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Leon in surprise talks with Hafter

Misratan-made buttermilk on the table in Marj (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald staff.

Leon with Hafter (Photo: Social media)
Leon with Hafter in Marj (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli/Beida, 8 January 2015:

In a surprise move, UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon met with General Khalifa Hafter, the . . .[restrict]effective head of Operation Dignity, in Marj today. He also met with other Dignity military officials, including Colonel Saqr Adam Geroushi the head of Dignity’s air force.

Before going to Marj, Leon was in Tobruk for talks with members of the House of Representatives (HoR).

With Libya increasingly polarised, Leon had earlier this week said that that he was running out of ideas and warned that the UN might give up on Libya. The time might be approaching, he said, when “the international community will have to use more stick and less carrot”.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

Until now, Leon has steadfastly avoided talking to Hafter on the same grounds that he refused to talk to Omar Al-Hassi – that, legally, he had no official or legitimate position. That appears to have changed with the decision last week when Hafter as well as Geroushi and 127 other officers were formally reitegrated taken back into the armed forces by the President of the HoR, Ageela Salah Gwaider.

It is not clear if today’s meetings has given Leon any reason to reassess his earlier bleak views about dialogue. Hafter is reported to have repeated the Thinni government and HoR line that here would be no talks with “extremists and terrorists” – which Tobruk and Beida usually mean to include Libya Dawn. Moreover, according to Geroushi’s son Tarik, a member of the HoR, dialogue was not discussed. The conversation, he said, was about the military situation.

In Tripoli, the meeting with Hafter will not go down well with Hassi and his supporters and certainly not with the more militant elements in Libya Dawn. Hafter is for them the arch enemy. If anything the meeting in Marj to hear the military view on events in the country will harden the already strong opposition there to dialogue.

However, both the Thinni government and HoR President Salah Gwaider have said in the past couple of days that dialogue is the only way to get out of the current crisis. In the cabinet meeting on Wednesday, the cabinet called on all parties to sit down and resolve the current problems by talking, not through the language of arms. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGeneral Khalifa HafterLibyaMarjTobrukUNSMIL

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Thinni's government expresses appreciation for Arab League's support

Ten more Egyptians reported missing in Libya; Egyptian president launches “crisis cell”

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.