No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli Council backs Geneva talks as Hassi “government” orders municipalities not to get involved in dialogue process

byMichel Cousins
January 17, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tripoli Council backs Geneva talks as Hassi “government” orders municipalities not to get involved in dialogue process

as

By Libya Herald staff.

as
The Tripoli Municipal Council statement

Tripoli, 15 January 2015:

Tripoli Municipal Council has become the latest to come out in support of the dialogue . . .[restrict]process which started yesterday in Geneva. In a statement today, it said it supported the dialogue and called on other Libyans to show they backed peace and security in the country by supporting it as well.

The call follows a similar one by Misrata Municipal Council two days ago and is further evidence of a growing division within Libya Dawn on the issue. Zawia and Gharian, both Dawn supporters so far, have also backed the dialogue. Islamist-leaning hardliners in the movement, however, are firmly against it.

Appearing to put himself firmly in the latter category, Omar Al-Hassi’s “minister” for local government, Mouhaned Younis, has ordered Libya’s municipal councils to keep out of the dialogue process. They did not represent Libya, he said; they represented their local communities only. Their role, he said, was limited to providing services to their local communities. They should keep out of national politics.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

Noting the invitations from Bernardino Leon, the head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) to a number of municipal leaders to join the dialogue, Younis accused him of violating Libya law and circumventing the will of the Libyan people by ignoring Libya’ government. He threatened unspecified legal action against the UN.

Neither the Hassi nor Thinni administrations have been invited to the Geneva talks. Municipal leaders, however, are expected in the Swiss city next week.

In a separate statement indicating a determined government attempt to prevent them going, the deputy minister at the same ministry, Mohamed Lafi, said that the participation of local leaders in the talks “may cause instability and contribute to division within the country”. He added that international organisations must communicate only with the official government – which in his case meant the Hassi regime.

According to a senior local government official, the intervention by Younis and Lafi has not gone down well with local municipal leaders. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaOmar Al-HassiUNUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Confidence among Geneva delegates that the basis of a Libyan roadmap has been laid

Confidence among Geneva delegates that the basis of a Libyan roadmap has been laid

Mecca moneychangers reject Libyan dinar

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.