No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL condemns attack on Libyan Central Bank in Benghazi

byMichel Cousins
June 24, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tunis, 22 January 2015:

The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has issued a statement condemning yesterday’s attack on the Central Bank branch in Benghazi. It has called for an independent inquiry into the incident, demanding that all sides in Libya cooperate with it.

The incident, the statement said, demonstrated the importance of urgently continuing the dialogue process. It urged the parties “to remain engaged in the process aimed at restoring peace and stability to Libya, putting the high national interest above all other considerations”.

UNSMIL’s statement follows the decision yesterday evening by the continuing General National Congress that it would not participate in the dialogue, whether in Libya or elsewhere, because of the attack. However, that decision is being widely seen as an excuse for not joining the talks.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

There is a strong constituency from hardliners within the rump legislature as well as from Libya Dawn to reject dialogue. Last Sunday, in a move interpreted as a similar bid to avoid joining the process, Congress announced that it would participate only if meetings were held in Libya. However, UNSMIL and those delegates who went to Geneva last week quickly responded saying that the talks could indeed occur in Libya.

UNSMIL’s condemnation of the bank attack, unusual in that there are conflicting accounts of what happened, is seen as a further move to get Congress on board the dialogue.

According to supporters of the Hassi “government”, the bank was attacked and looted by members of General Khalifa Hafter’s Operation Dignity. In a statement, the Tripoli-based Central Bank of Libya (CBL) which cooperates with the Hassi administration, said called it a crime carried out by armed gangs.

The Beida-based government of Abdullah Al-Thinni and the Libya National Army (LNA), however, said that the bank had been taken over by Ansar Al-Sharia, that it had been liberated and that cash inside the building was now in safe hands. The CBL in Benghazi is also reported by the  pro-Thinni Beida offices of the Libyan news agency LANA saying that the branch was now protected by the LNA.

Social media claims that the branch was holding as much as $100 billion are an evident and massive exaggeration. The CBL does not keep that amount of money in the country, let alone Benghazi. Most of it assets are placed abroad. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziCentral Bank of LibyaLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Media in Libya not impartial says EU envoy

Media in Libya not impartial says EU envoy

Jihadists claim to set up base in Beida

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.