No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UPDATE: Explosion at Tripoli’s Corinthia hotel – deaths, injuries, hostages unconfirmed.

bySami Zaptia
January 27, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Libya Herald reporter:

Malta, 27 January, 2015:

There has been an explosion this morning at Tripoli’s Corinthia hotel with initial reports saying that . . .[restrict]some of the hotel’s security personel have been killed. A source known to Libya Herald said that the ”whole building shook”.

Smoke could be clearly seen from a distance billowing from the Corithia hotel entrance or car park.

Early and unconfirmed reports suggest that the explosive device may have been placed in a car in the hotel’s car park which caused damage to the hotel’s entrance and some cars.

RELATED POSTS

REAoL and Total Energies discuss implementing Corinthia Hotel car park solar energy project

Libya’s Internal Security Service reveals capture of IS member involved in Corinthia hotel terror attack

The power supply to the hotel has also been reported as lost, and it is not clear if that was caused by the explosion or by the perpetrators. The hotel is known to have a generator.

Libya’s official Al-Wataniya TV channel has reported that the official spokesperson for Tripoli’s Joint Security Room, Isam Naas, has said that one of the perpetrators of the attack has been arrested.

Elsewhere, Naas was quoted as saying that three suspected perpetrators were surrounded inside the hotel.

Reports that the perpetrators are holding hostages are unconfirmed and the early reports that some of these hostages are VIPs, non-Libyan nationals or are diplomats – are still unconfirmed.

It is also reported that three filipino workers in the hotel had been injured.

There is at this point also no confirmation social network news that the incident was a suicide mission.

A source has confirmed to this paper that Dat il Imad and Tripoli Tower were evacuated.

A friend of this publication who works in the very nearby Dat Il Imad office complex, told Libya Herald that ‘’At first I thought it was in our building because it shook so badly’’. He confirmed that Dat Il Imad was immediately evacuated.

The friend who asked not to be identified and was safely at home when talking to Libya Herald, said that it there was a sudden rush by employees working in the area to get home. ‘‘It took a while. There was lots of traffic, obviously with everyone trying to get home’’.

He added that he was very surprised that there was absolutely ‘’no security at all coming into work today’’ to Dat Il Imad.

‘’One would think with these threats going round they would think to place police cars and not allow people to park near buildings’’, he added referring to the reported threats against the Dat Il Imad complex a few days ago.

More details to follow.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Corinthia Hotelexplosion

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
UPDATE: Corinthia Hotel attack

UPDATE: Corinthia Hotel attack

United States reiterates it does not recognize GNC and its Tripoli Hassi government

United States reiterates it does not recognize GNC and its Tripoli Hassi government

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.