No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Thinni “picks” Hafter as Defence Minister and Armed Forces C-inC

byNigel Ash
February 15, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Thinni “picks” Hafter as Defence Minister and Armed Forces C-inC

General Khalifa Hafter (file photo)

By Maha Suleiman and Ayman Amzein.

General Khalifa Hafter (file photo)
General Khalifa Hafter (file photo)

Benghazi, 14 February 2015:

Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni is said to have selected General Khalifa Hafter as his . . .[restrict]defence minister and also put him forward as  Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.

The controversial moves by the prime minister who has himself held the post of defence minister must be signed off by the House of Representatives and looks unlikely to succeed. After has the support  of some 40 members but the majority are not seen as sympathetic to him.

The HoR may also demur because it thinks there are too many ministers. It demanded that Thinni cut down the size of his original cabinet  pick from 18 to 11 and appoint ministers not previously in politics. Thinni himself nominally also took the defence brief, a job which he had held during Ali Zeidan’s premiership. The portfolio has actually been looked after by Masoud Erhuma one of the quasi-ministers known as department heads.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs ”strategic agreements” with ”several large” US Companies

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs contract with Turkey’s Ankamenia for maintenance of Benghazi University’s medical colleges

Parliament in the end allowed Thinni to have 13 ministers. However, Hafter’s appointment might be rejected simply on the numbers’ principle rather because of the animus that politicians have against the general.

Among some in Benghazi,  Hafter is seen as a liberator and is highly popular. In various city districts, fireworks were being let off this evening to celebrate his potential new role. Drivers were also honking the horns of often stationary cars, as there has been hardly any petrol for the last three days.  There were few takers for the normal cavalcades of enthusiastic supporters.

In reality,  Benghazi still remains to be cleared completely of Ansar fighters and their allies. Their old stronghold at Buatni is now almost completely in government hands. Civic society members went on a tour of the former Ansar camp today.  The widely-disseminated story that 40 heads had been found by the Special Forces that took the camp has now been discredited.

There remain some fighters in the port area, though a source insisted to the Libya Herald that these men could no longer be rearmed and provisioned by sea.  Fierce fighting continues in Leithi where it is reported that one of the principal roads, Elhegaz Street is now under government control. However, Hawari, Gwarsha and Gunfudah with its sea access remain Ansar bastions.

There was some confusion when news of Hafter’s selection was posted online. The picture that accompanied the statement showed the president of parliament, Ageela Salah with Hafter, alongside other HoR members, but Thinni was missing from the line-up. It is now being said that the photograph was taken two days ago at the meeting where the future of interior minister Omar Al-Sinki was debated, after his controversial anti-Hafter remarks in Paris.  No photographers were allowed to take shots of today’s encounter. [/restrict]

Tags: Armed Forces Commander in ChiefHafterLibyaThinni.Minister of Defence

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

HoR will not appoint Hafter Supreme Commander of Armed Forces – Mosab Al-Abed

Tripoli power cuts worsen

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.