No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misratan forces “await results of negotiations” with IS in Sirte

byMichel Cousins
February 19, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Misratan forces “await results of negotiations” with IS in Sirte

IS flag over Sirte University

By Libya Herald staff.

IS flag over Sirte University
IS flag over Sirte University (Photo: Social media)

Misrata/Tripoli, 19 February 2015:

Misrata’s Brigade 166 and other forces sent to Sirte to retake the town from Islamic . . .[restrict]State (IS) forces now controlling it are awaiting the outcome of negotiations between IS and local tribal elders, according to a well-placed Misratan source. The objective of the talks is to get IS to leave the town and go to Nawfaliya, the source said.

Nawfaliya was reported to have been taken over by IS ten days ago but the Misrata source claimed that the militants have been based there for some time.

IS had been given two alternatives, the source said: “Give up or be killed”.

RELATED POSTS

LAIP stalled Misrata cement factory committee meets to move the project forward

Following Qatari Elegancia’s contract: Audit Bureau stresses effective management of public funds, optimal use of management contracts‎

However, the mediation was not going well, he disclosed. Instead of leaving, IS has been reinforcing its presence. It has also placed snipers on buildings, he claimed.

Brigade 166 and other Misrata forces are currently based outside Sirte and are said to be manning checkpoints on both the western and eastern approaches to it.

A main part of the problem with the Islamists in Sirte, the source claimed, is that although there are foreign fighters among them – mainly Tunisians, Egyptians and Algerians – many are from Sirte itself.

The source said that a colleague had been in the town earlier this week and had seen IS gunmen, their faces not masked, manning a checkpoint near the Ouagadougou Centre and being recognised and greeted by name by locals. Others though, he reported, were masked and had stood impassively around, not talking. All had an arsenal of weaponry with them including AK47s and RPGs.

The tribal negotiators were trying to get the Sirte members to quit IS, he said.

These were mainly former Qaddafi loyalists who have now switched to the Islamists, he alleged. They include members of Qaddafi brigades, of the internal security and intelligence forces as well as former Qaddafi fighters living in District No. 2, originally from Mauritania but now with Libyan nationality. They had earlier joined Ansar Al-Sharia in the town, he claimed, because it gave them again a voice and status. But  they were then  ordered to leave after they started condemning others as kafir (having abandoned Islam). It was these who now controlled the town, he said.

There are unconfirmed reports that IS has some 600 fighters now in Sirte. There are also reports of armed units still operating in the town but not directly linked to the organisation.

Reporters who managed to get into it this week have spoken of meeting gunmen who they said were not IS  and who told them to leave immediately.

Meanwhile, it is also claimed that the Misratans are trying to recruit militiamen from other towns, in particular Zliten and Khoms, ahead of a possible battle with IS in Sirte. However, it is questioned whether this will actually happen. Military experts point out that to deal with IS in Qaddafi’s home town would require an extensive house-to-house operation that would be bloody and take a long time. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredISLibyaMisrataSirte

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Tobruk collaborates with Gulf states on water crisis

Tobruk collaborates with Gulf states on water crisis

Qatar recalls ambassador to Egypt over Derna airstrikes

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.