No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Aref Nayed condemns lack of support for LNA, accuses US and international community of helping Muslim Brotherhood

byMichel Cousins
July 17, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Aref Nayed condemns lack of support for LNA, accuses US and international community of helping Muslim Brotherhood

Aref Nayad Heritage Washington

By Libya Herald reporter.

Aref Nayad Heritage Washington
Aref Nayed addressing the Heritage Foundation in Washington (Video grab)

Tunis, 8 March 2017:

Aref Nayed, the former Libyan ambassador to the UAE, who is seen as a possible candidate from the premiership, has attacked the international community for not supporting Khalifa Hafter’s Libyan National Army (LNA) as its fights the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB) which he described as an “Al-Qaeda” army. It was in alliance with Al-Qaeda affiliates and the Muslim Brotherhood, he declared.

“Thank God for the LNA, who has been fighting terrorists for three years without any international support,” he told a conference of largely Trump supporters in Washington. But the international community was undermining its efforts, he said.

“No one is helping the LNA when 6,000 youngsters [with the LNA] have been killed,” he stated.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Tripoli Chamber discussing leading delegation to WOC show in Las Vegas, USA in January

On the contrary, the international community and the US had given its blessing to what was Al-Qaeda in Libya.

Attacking the two for forcing Islamists on Libya “again and again”, he pointed out that the political wings in the country of the Muslim Brotherhood and of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG), aligned to Al-Qaeda, had twice been massively rejected in elections by the Libyan people, gaining just five percent of the vote.

“Yet we were told [by the former Obama administration] to give them 50 percent of the power in power sharing mediated by the UN.”

He accused the former administration of ignoring his constant warnings that the Islamists were gaining a hold in Libya.

Over the past six years, he said, Libya had spent $2 billion, but none of it had gone on the country’s needs – on new hospitals or roads or schools. It had gone building up the reserves of the Brotherhood and of the LIFG. They had a transnational agenda of creating an Islamic state and were making Libya “their ATM and their gas station” to achieve it.

The Islamists’ aim would threaten “the entire region including Europe”, he said, yet Libyans had been told by the former US administration to be inclusive of the MB and the Islamists.

“While we’re being patient and inclusive, these guys are attacking Benghazi.”

The Trump administration had not yet had the time to revamp its Libya policy and replace its Libya embassy staff who were promoting it, he said, but it had to quickly look at what was happening in Libya and stop seeing the MB as a key ally in rebuilding the country. In particular, it has to stop blindly following a policy of support for the existing Presidency Council. This needed to be changed, he insisted.

Tags: featuredLibyaUS

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Italy looks to Niger for deal on Libya migration

Roundtable workshop in Tunis looks to ideas for Libya's future

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.