No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Amnesty International: Egyptian air strikes unmeasured and disproportionate

byNewsdesk2
February 24, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Derna raids: Egypt "did not consider civilians" (Photo: Egyptian Airforce)
Derna raids: Egypt “did not consider civilians” (Photo: Egyptian Airforce)

Tripoli, 23 February 2015:

Egypt’s bombing attack on Derna last week resulted in the death of seven civilians because, . . .[restrict]said Amnesty International, Egypt “failed to take the necessary precautions” in carrying out the attack. The human rights body repeated its calls for the International Criminal Court to investigate alleged war crimes in Libya.

Amnesty today called for the Egyptian government to release details of the planning for the attack as well as the attack itself, essentially asking the government to prove that it had taken measures to prevent civilian casualties.

“Egypt has now joined the ranks of those placing civilians at risk in Libya. The killing of seven civilians, six of them in their own homes, must be investigated, as it appears to have been disproportionate,” said Amnesty’s Middle East and North Africa Deputy Director Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Defence Ministry warns of unspecified precision air strikes against human smugglers and drug traffickers

Libyan militias intensified suppression of dissent, attacks on civil society. Thousands arbitrarily detained, arrested for exercise of human rights: Amnesty International report

Amnesty cited eyewitness reports from residents in the “heavily-populated” residential area where two missiles hit, destroying homes and cars and killing seven, including a mother and three of her children. The organisation alleged that contrary to Egyptian and Libyan authorities, it “could not determine whether a legitimate military target was located in the area.

The Amnesty report gave details of several of those who were killed and the damage sustained by homes and cars. It also quoted the director a hospital in Derna who said that the medical facility had treated 17 residents who were injured by the explosions. He added that among the dead and injured seen at the hospital, none were militants.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi has denied the targeting of civilian targets. Furthermore, he claimed that the air strikes were carried out using meticulous reconnaissance and intelligence.

Amnesty expressed its concern that “civilians are increasingly bearing the brunt of reprisal attacks as violence in Libya escalates,” mentioning Friday’s suicide bombings in Guba .

Amnesty  recalled that it had previously documented and reported on Operation Dignity attacks that killed civilians, mentioning operations in Ben Jawad and Zuwara.

“Civilians in Libya are in mortal danger as retaliatory attacks by all sides spiral even further out of control,” said Sahraoui.

Amnesty called for all parties to take “all feasible precautions to spare civilians” in any future attacks and to refrain from assaults “which are indiscriminate or disproportionate,” also recommending that civilians are given advance warning of military operations.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: air strikesAmnesty InternationalDernaEgyptfeaturedLibyawar crimes

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Zliten mayor in Jordan to learn about municipal administration

Zliten mayor in Jordan to learn about municipal administration

21 bakeries shuttered in Ghariyan and surrounding area

21 bakeries shuttered in Ghariyan and surrounding area

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.