No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi disabled kids’ centre threatened with closure despite charity’s help

byNewsdesk1
March 17, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi disabled kids’ centre threatened with closure despite charity’s help

By Adam Ali.

wheelchairs
New playroom at the Benghazi Disabled Children’s Centre (Photo: #Mn_Tawfiq)

Benghazi, 16 March 2015:

A lack of specialist workers and gas along with blockaded roads and fighting in nearby Leithi, . . .[restrict]is endangering the future of a Benghazi disabled childcare centre and threatening to undo the hard work of a local charity.

A charity local to Benghazi, “Obader”, through its two month-old campaign, “#Mn_Tawfiq”, has provided much-needed equipment for a centre that is meeting the needs of disabled children in the East.

The idea for the campaign came in December after its relief work by Obader led volunteers into contact with a number of families with disabled children in need of support,  Obader’s, Fatoom Bin Dardaf, told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

“We chose to name the campaign after our dear friend, Tawfiq Bin Saud, who was assassinated on 19 September. We started collecting monetary donations,” Bin Dardaf said.

The group decided to work with the Benghazi Centre for the Disabled. Apart from funding medical equipment and wheelchairs, #Mn_Tawfiq has redecorated an empty room at the centre, kitting it out with an entertainment centre and games to help the children to deal with the stress of the recent violence in the city.

Though #Mn_Tawfiq has made progress in the campaign, it is saying that it is unable to continue work at the centre for the time being because of the street closures and gas shortages of the past few months have made it very difficult to transport equipment to the centre.

According to Benghazi Centre for the Disabled Director Fawzi Huni, the centre itself is suffering from a severe shortage in childcare workers, which has led to the withdrawal of 12 children by their families, who were concerned that their children were not receiving enough attention.

“All of the childcare workers were Libyan, but some decided to flee Benghazi when the fighting started last year,” Huni added.

Currently, there are 40 children living at the centre, and because of its close proximity to the Laithi area, which has seen a significant amount of fighting over the past few months, some of the children are suffering from post-traumatic stress related to the sounds of gunfire and explosions happening outside, Humi said.

“We believe in what the disabled centre is doing and look forward to continued partnership with the it in the future,” Bin Dardaf told this paper. [/restrict]

Tags: #Mn_TawfiqBenghazidisabled childrenLibyaObader

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Kuwait expels Libyan ambassador at HoR’s request

Kuwait expels Libyan ambassador at HoR’s request

EU ‘ready to step up engagement on counter-terrorism’

EU ‘ready to step up engagement on counter-terrorism’

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.