No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU ‘ready to step up engagement on counter-terrorism’

byCallum Paton
March 17, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
EU ‘ready to step up engagement on counter-terrorism’

iuiug

By Libya Herald staff.

EU High Representative Frederica Mogherini talks to UK Secretary of State Philip Hammond in Brussels (Photo: Council of the European Union)
EU High Representative Frederica Mogherini talks to UK Secretary of State Philip Hammond in Brussels (Photo: Council of the European Union)

Tripoli, 16 March 2015:

The European Union is prepared to increase its counter-terrorism commitments in Libya . . .[restrict]in light of recent attacks by Islamic State but has ruled out a military intervention for the time being.

Following a meeting of the EU’s Foreign Affairs Council in Brussels, the organisation said “current political divisions and mutual mistrust between the main political stakeholders” was “helping terrorist groups such as Da’esh to consolidate their presence”.

It said the extremist group was “undermining Libya’s security and posing serious challenges to its neighbours, the wider region and Europe”.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

First joint Italian Libyan company to export fish to European markets launched

However, the representatives from the European nations stopped short of making plans for a military invention which has been called for by a number of EU member countries over the last six months. Instead they urged opposed factions in the country to form a government of national unity.

“The formation of a National Unity Government would enable the EU to offer its full support to Libya to enhance counter-terrorism capacity in full compliance with human rights and rule of law,” the EU said.

Prior to the summit in the Belgian capital British Secretary of State Phillip Hammond told reporters that the European Union needed to see relative stability in the country before more help could be given.

“I think at the moment we have got to establish a ceasefire and get some unity between the warring factions inside Libya before we can talk about how we night then support a peace,” he said.

Last week the EU’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs Federica Mogherini met Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon in New York and then later went to Sharm Al-Sheikh to discuss the current situation regional players.

She said what was going on in the country was a “crisis that affects very much the region, but also directly the European Union, all of the European Union”.

On Wednesday the foreign ministers from Algeria, Egypt and Italy are to meet in Rome to talk about Libya. It is the parties’ stated intention to “discuss ways to find a comprehensive solution for the Libyan crisis, along with ways to restore security and stability and to fight against terrorism”.

[/restrict]

Tags: BrusselsEUEuropean UnionfeaturedFrederica MogheriniLibyaRome

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Explosion in Misrata kills one as battles between IS and Dawn continue

Explosion in Misrata kills one as battles between IS and Dawn continue

Ghariyan reviews heavy damage in recent fighting

Ghariyan reviews heavy damage in recent fighting

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.