No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hassi: Kidnapped Information Minister was being investigated

byCallum Paton
March 17, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Omar Al-Hassi (photo: social media)
Omer Al-Hassi (photo: social media)

Tripoli, 16 March 2015:

Hassi government Information Minister Ali Al-Huni was under investigation when he was . . .[restrict]kidnapped from his home last week, it has been revealed.

In a speech on Saturday the head of the antigovernment, Omer Al-Hassi, said a series of complaints had been lodged against Huni “regarding his recent actions”. Hassi said he had been personally involved with an official investigation into the rumours which had now been passed on to the Ministry of Justice in Tripoli.

“I met with the minister and asked him to prepare for trial. I asked him to prepare his defence,” Hassi said.

RELATED POSTS

Kidnaper in 2019 of 14 Tunisian nationals convicted for 12 years’ imprisonment

Five months on, GNMTC GM Tawati kidnapped again by armed militias

Despite the imminent case against Huni, Hassi said he deplored the actions of the armed group and demanded his minister’s immediate release. He added that, as far as he was concerned, the General National Congress, the Administrative Control Authority and the Attorney General’s office were the correct bodies to dispense justice.

“I personally reject this kind of bad action that was taken by the armed group and call it a complete crime,” Hassi said.

While the head of the antigovernment did not spell out why Huni was being investigated, it is understood accusations of corruption had been made against him.

The pro-Hassi government Libya Observer has reported that fiscal and administrative corruption cases have been bought against the Media Development Bureau and Libya Al-Ekhbareya Channel.

The online publication claimed the two organisations had embezzled funds of up to LD 54 million and said the money had been paid to them by the Zeidan government.

An armed group attacked the home of  Ali Al-Huni on Thursday when he was taken hostage with a number of his dinner party guests, who were later released.

The armed group who detained him is said to be from a Mitiga-based  militia.

In December last year Huni survived an assassination attempt in which one of his bodyguards was killed. He himself was shot in the leg. .

Huni’s appointment to the Hassi antigovernment last August was controversial in some quarters.  Though low-profile since the revolution, Huni, who is a poet working in the Libyan dialect, is supposed in 2011 to have written poems praising Qaddafi and criticising the revolutionaries.

[/restrict]

Tags: Ali Al-HunifeaturedInformation MinisterkidnappingOmar Al-Hassi

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Ittihad Libya first round match ends in draw at 2015 CAF Cup

Benghazi disabled kids’ centre threatened with closure despite charity’s help

Benghazi disabled kids' centre threatened with closure despite charity's help

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.