No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Morocco talks take a break as Leon heads to Brussels to meet Libyan municipality representatives

byMichel Cousins
March 23, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Morocco talks take a break as Leon heads to Brussels to meet Libyan municipality representatives

Leon ar Shirt (Photo: UNSMIL)

By Libya Herald staff.

Leon ar Shirt (Photo: UNSMIL)
Leon at Skhirat (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 22 March 2015:

The UN-brokered Libya dialogue negotiation taking place in Morocco have been paused temporarily with UN special . . .[restrict]Envoy to Libya Bernardino Leon flying to Brussels to chair a meeting of municipal representatives tomorrow, Monday, in a separate platform of the dialogue process.

The three days of talks in the Moroccan seaside resort of Skhirat were originally supposed to have ended today ahead of the planned municipal discussions. It had been hoped they would come up with a set of proposals on a national unity government, security arrangement to enable such a government to function, and a number of other measures related to security. However, the mandate of the team from the House of Representatives (HoR), although in Skhirat and taking part in the negotiations, is not fully clear.

The HoR had called its team back to Tobruk for negotiations and is due to decide tomorrow on its involvement in the dialogue. There are reports that some HoR members want to change the team or send in a monitoring group to instruct and control it.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

There are also strong voices in Tobruk, as well as in the government, for withdrawing from the process altogether, buoyed up by the belief that they are going to win the conflict by military means. There are claims that these include Prime Minister Abdullah Thinni and General Khalifa Hafter.

In a press statement today, Leon acknowledge the problem, saying that peace was still a long way off, that matters were complicated by the military escalation on the ground but adding he was still optimistic. “My assessment at this point is positive”, he said, but warning that “we still have a lot of to do, a long way to bring everybody on board to reduce violence”.

He nonetheless expressed evident frustration that the lack of commitment to the dialogue from forces on both sides. At Skhirat was “everybody is onboard,” he said, but it was different back in Libya.

“Not everybody in Libya is supporting the dialogue,” he acknowledged. On the other hand, he stated, one of the aims of the dialogue was to “isolate [those] . . who are in favor of military solution”. These, he insisted, were a minority of Libyans. The majority, including people in Tobruk, Tripoli, Misrata and elsewhere, backed the dialogue.

It is reported that Leon’s particular ire at the lack of progress with the dialogue is directed at Abdullah Al-Thinni. UN officials have said that he has accused the Prime Minister of stepping outside international legality with the current military attacks.

The talks in Skhirat are expected to reconvene on Monday evening.

Participants at the talks in Skhirat:

  • Emhemed Shouaib (Deputy President of HoR, from Zawia)
  • Abubakr Buera (HoR member from Benghazi,)
  • Sadiq Idris Mohamed (HoR member from Qasr Ben Gashir)
  • Saleh Huma (HoR member from Ghat)
  • Mossa El Koni (Tuareg, former member of the NTC)
  • Ahmad Al Abbar (former member of the NTC)
  • Fathi Bashagha (boycotting member of the HoR for Misrata)
  • Na’eem Al Gharyani (boycotting member of the HoR for Ghariyan)
  • Tawfiq Shuhabi (former member of GNC for Tobruk and leader of 94 Group. Was spokesman for the National Force Alliance)
  • Fawzi Egab (former member of the GNC)
  • Naima Gebril (legal adviser from Benghazi; was a member of committee with Sulaimen Zubi that wrote the law setting up the Constitutional Drafting Assembly)
  • Nihad Maetig (Civil society activist, and sister of Ahmed Maetig)
  • Fadeel Amin (Chairman of the Preparatory Commission for National Dialogue
  • Nuri Elabbar (former head of Higher National Elections Commission)
  • Saleh Al-Makhzoum (Justice & Construction member for Wadi Ashatti, member of Muslim Brotherhood; Deputy President of GNC):
  • Omar Hemidan (Spokesman of GNC, member from Zliten)
  • Mohammad Al-Amari (head of the Islamist Wafa block in GNC which includes the J&C and more radical Islamists; from Benghazi)
  • Mohamed Emazab (Congress member from Ajdabiya)
  • Suleiman Al-Fagieh (boycotting member of the HoR for Misrata)
  • Mohamed Abdulaziz (former Foreign Minister, HoR’s “ambassador”)
  • Mustafa Abushagour (former Deputy Prime Minister, non-attending member of HoR for Suq Al-Juma)
  • Sharif El-Wafi (former GNC member, one of the leaders of 94 group)
  • Omar Abu Leefa (Member of GNC for Misrata, President of Congress’ Legislative Committee)

With input from Libya Herald reporters in Tobruk and Tripoli. [/restrict]

Tags: Bernadino LeonfeaturedGeneva dialogueLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Mother’s Day celebrated in Ghariyan

Mother's Day celebrated in Ghariyan

Benghazi kidney clinic still in line of fire

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.