No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL Algiers political talks “a great success”: Bernadino Leon

byNigel Ash
April 15, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UNSMIL Algiers political talks “a great success”: Bernadino Leon

Delegates in today's final session of the Algiers talks (Photo: UNSMIL)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Delegates in today's final session of the Algiers talks (Photo: UNSMIL)
Delegates in today’s final session of the Algiers talks (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tripoli, 14 April 2015:

Two days of UNSMIL-mediated talks between political parties and activists in Algiers ended this evening . . .[restrict]with everyone agreeing on everything except how to bring about a peace agreement.

But this second  political meeting was part of UNSMIL’s broader confidence-building programme which has involved taking municipal leaders to Brussels for talks and is scheduled to bring tribal elders together in Egypt.

The real work on the “Draft Agreement on the Political Transition in Libya” restarts on Thursday in Skhirat, where delegations from the House of Representatives and the revived rump of the General National Congress have their third meeting in the Moroccan town, as part of the dialogue which began in Ghadames last September.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon hailed the Algiers talks as a “great success. The Libyan parties have succeeded in finding a common position on most of the points of a draft accord presented by the United Nations” he said.

He also welcomed suggestions that had been made for changes to the accord but he did not spell out what those had been.

Yesterday the UN Security Council expressed its “impatience” as it once again urged all parties in the conflict to come up with agreement. It also repeated its warning, echoed earlier in the day by EU foreign ministers, that it would sanction those who were deemed to be obstructing the peace process by continuing the violence.

Speaking during his visit to Jordan where he has had talks with and received backing from King Abdullah and senior military chiefs, armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter today said he backed the dialogue but had little hope of a successful outcome. He also said that the army had no intention of stopping its campaign against “terrorists”. In the end, he said, he feared that the only solution would be military.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: AlgiersfeaturedHafterLeonLibypoliticalSecurity CouncilUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Benghazi Medical Centre sustains more damage from shelling

Benghazi Medical Centre sustains more damage from shelling

Thousands of gas cylinders coming to Benghazi

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.