No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL slams civilian deaths and abductions in Tripoli fighting

byNigel Ash
April 19, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
UNSMIL slams civilian deaths and abductions in Tripoli fighting

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tajourah fighting (photo: social media)
Tripoli and Tunis  18 April 2015:

UNSMIL . . .[restrict]chief Bernardino Leon slammed the fighting in Tripoli as it appeared that Libya Dawn forces had checked pro-government fighters in Fashloum and Tajoura.

Leon condemned the death of civilians and the reported abduction of civilians as well as the burning of houses. He said that coming at an important stage in the dialogue in Skhirat in Morocco,  there could be no justification whatsoever for the clashes taking place in Tripoli, nor for the continuing armed hostilities in other parts of the country.

It seems clear that after 12 hours of fighting, from the early this morning, Islamist fighters, mostly from the Nawasi Brigade,  managed to gain control of Fashloum. Dawn sources said the violence began when drugs dealers attacked a checkpoint on the edge of the district.  Libya Dawn has long characterised opponents in Fashloum as dope pedlars.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Armoured vehicles which had been ringing the area moved in from all sides. The sound of shelling could be heard for some hours. Shipping container barricades that the residents had used to block roads where nosed aside.

Video taken this afternoon showed bearded Islamist fighters moving through the district’s rubbish and debris-strewn streets, firing in the air and shouting “Allahu Akhbar”. Walls and shop front shutters that had earlier displayed graffiti in support of Karama, the Dignity Operation, seemed to have been quickly over-sprayed with black paint.

Locals reported arrests and beatings. There were some claims that a large number of men had been rounded up and taken to a Nawasi base at Mitiga. It has also been claimed that shops and homes of known government supporters were torched.

There is not yet an accurate figure for the dead and injured. UNSMIL referred to three civilian deaths including that of a 3 year-old girl. However, it has not been possible to confirm casualty details with hospitals.

Fashloum was tonight described as a ghost town. Many residents are said to have fled to friends and neighbours elsewhere in the capital. Pro-government gunmen may also have melted away. Earlier today the street fighting overflowed briefly into Ben Ashur with militiamen seen to grab at least two people. Bullets smashed into upstairs windows.

Fashloum residents are assumed to have been acting in support of pro-government forces in Tajoura to the east of the capital, where fighting entered a third day today. The locals were backing the 101 Battalion, one of whose bases has been in the military engineering school in Tajoura.

While few details of the fighting can be confirmed, it does appear this evening that the battalion has been driven from two of its three bases in the district. One report had it that resistance had collapsed completely.

It appears that beside the advancing Libya Dawn militias to the west of Tajoura, there was also an attack from the east by Misratan forces.

As in Fashloum, there is not yet a clear idea of casualties. A Dawn member claimed that that there had been two dead and four wounded among its militiamen. A Misratan source was claiming that when the 101 Battalion was pushed out of the military engineering college, the bodies of four kidnapped young Misratans were found there.

This evening pro-Dawn media were announcing that the 101 battalion was to be disbanded. Nuri Abu Sahmain, the president of the rump of the General National Congress was reported, as the Libyan Army commander-in-chief that he insists that he still is, to have ordered the units personnel and equipment to be moved into Tripoli.  It was also said that he had launched an investigation into the 101’s senior commanders and their attempt to “destabilise Tripoli”.

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: FashloumfeaturedfightingLibyaTajoura

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Hundred die in new Mediterranean migrant disaster

Dawn counters reports of execution of Tajoura leader Sassi

Dawn counters reports of execution of Tajoura leader Sassi

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Ministry of Planning meets Libyan Industry Union to discuss support for nationally manufactured products

Libyan institutions explore how emerging technologies can strengthen education and scientific research

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.