No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

One killed and seven injured in Guba suicide bomb, IS claims responsibility.

byMichel Cousins
May 19, 2015
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Benghazi, 19 May 2015:

A member of the Libyan National Army (LNA) was killed and at least seven others . . .[restrict]injured early this morning in a suicide bomb attack at Guba, 28 east of Labrak airport. The suicide bomber was also killed. The Islamic State has claimed responsibility on Twitter and Facebook.

The bombing took place at Guba’s eastern Aldahr Al-Ahmar checkpoint at around 3am. It appears that the attackers hoped to get into the town itself and planned greater carnage. Two vehicles were involved. When challenged some 15 metres from the checkpoint, the driver of the first, a red Toyota Tundra pickup truck, blew himself up, killing one of the guards and wounding the others. The driver of the second vehicle drove off back in the direction of Derna, which is controlled by IS.

Unconfirmed reports that another vehicle managed to get in Guba are being investigated.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The dead guard has been named as Hamid Al-Shaari. He was initially taken to Guba hospital then transferred to the hospital in Beida but died of his wounds there. The wounded are also being treated in Beida Hospital

The LNA says the attack is a response by IS to the advances it has been making  towards Derna, in particular around Ras Hilal, 50 kilometres west of the IS-run town. It claims that in an operation yesterday it killed four IS members and seized ammunition and weapons near Ras Hilal. One of its soliders was also wounded, it said.

IS is thought to have targeted Guba as the next town to seize. Today’s attack on its eastern checkpoint follows a number of attacks on the checkpoint 10 kilometres west of Guba, at Lamluda. The most recent was last Saturday. [/restrict]

Tags: GubaISLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Thinni government approves importing eight new power plants

Tobruk looks to new development

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.