No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata’s military calls for end to fighting and for reconciliation

byMichel Cousins
May 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Misrata military declaration
Misrata military declaration (Photo: TV grab)

Misrata/Tripoli, 20 May 2015:

Over 40 military brigades in Misrata had signed up to a call for peace and national reconciliation . . .[restrict]in the country. Represented yesterday evening by city’s four largest brigades – Halboos, Zawiat Al-Mahjoub, Hittin and 166 – they urged other brigades and civil organisations from across Libya to join them in pushing for an end to the fighting and for a dialogue between all Libyans.

In their statement, they said that, just as they had been at the forefront of military action, they would now be at the forefront of a national campaign for peace. It was the only way to ensure Libya’s survival, they said. They pointed out that Misrata was already leading the way by having agreed peace deals with the Warshefana and, in the south, with the Magarha.

Libyans had to stand united against terrorism, they stated. So too, illegal immigration had to be dealt with and the thousands of displaced people be allowed to return home.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

They also said that they would support the judicial authorities, the building of the army and the police and do what was required by international sponsors (i.e. the UN) to promote dialogue, in particular in relation to the redeployment of armed militias in Libya’s cities.

It has consistently been agreed by all parties in the UNSMIL Dialogue process that militias must be disarmed and removed from Libya’s towns and cities.

Furthermore, the brigades gave a ringing endorsement to Misrata Municipal Council which has itself actively supported moves for national reconciliation. It was the legitimate representative of the city, the military statement said.

The endorsement is seen as a warming to the small, mainly Islamist grouping in Misrata that has rejected the council’s efforts at peace. Proclaiming their commitment to peace in Libya, the military leaders declared they would crush anyone working against it.

They, however, would be in contact with other brigades, towns and organisations across the country to encourage them to back the peace and reconciliation.

In a move seemingly timed to coincide the military statement, Misrata Council also issued its own yesterday. It welcomed a proposal by Jadu Municipal Council to host the dialogue which, it said, was the only option to resolve differences between Libyans and build a state of law. It called on revolutionaries to join reconciliation efforts.

It added, however, that the most recent UNSMIL draft from the Dialogue process at Skhirat in Morocco was “unfair and did not take into account all the political parties’ demands”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaMisrata

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Muslim Brotherhood leader seems to change tack

UPDATE: Nufaliya/Sirte clashes: Brigade 166 pulls back as IS claim victory

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.