No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sirte power station shuts down after fuel tanker raid: report

byNigel Ash
May 29, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sirte power station shuts down after fuel tanker raid: report

By Libya Herald reporters.

Anwar Afriqiya (1)
The tanker Anwar Afriqiya (photo: social media)

Tripoli, 25 May 2015:

There are reports this evening that Sirte power station has been forced to close down . . .[restrict]for lack of fuel after a supply tanker was hit in a government air raid. There was confusion today about the attack on the tanker Anwar Afriqiya which the government appeared to claim was hit in an airstrike when it was at sea, while Libya Dawn is maintaining that it was struck while docked in Sirte.

The Libyan army said that the vessel ignored instructions to alter course from Sirte to where the government is claiming it was bringing weapons. Yet the attack appears to have happened while the Libyan-owned tanker was tied up in Sirte.

The ministry of defence in the Tripoli-based antigovernment today condemned the air strike, insisting that the Anwar Afriqiya was carrying fuel oil for Sirte power station, which it was unloading when at least one government jet struck. There have also been conflicting reports of casualties with claims that one person died and others that four people were injured, including a dock worker while the tanker was discharging 35,000 tonnes of fuel oil from Greece.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

Libya Dawn is asserting that the captain and an employee of the state electricity firm GECOL were among the wounded.  It said that though parts of Sirte are in the hands of IS terrorists, the power station was not. GECOL warned today that the aborted delivery meant that further power shortages were likely. There were reports this evening that the power station had already shut down.

Libya Dawn said in its statement that the airstrike had seriously damaged the Anwar Afriqiya, wrecking the control room. Fire fighters had managed to extinguish a fire that had broken out aboard.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: Anwar Afriqiyaar strikefeaturedLibyapower stationSirtetanker

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Four charred bodies found on road between Tobruk and Ajdabiya

Tobruk prison expansion to ease overcrowding

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.