No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Dabbashi warns EU against dealing with Tripoli regime

byMichel Cousins
June 3, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Ibrahim Dabbashi at the UN (file photo)
Ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi  (file photo)

Tunis, 3 June, 2015:

Libya’s UN ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi has warned the EU that it must deal only with . . .[restrict]the internationally-recognised government in Beida and parliament in Tobruk if it wants a UN Security Council resolution on the Europeans’ plan for military action in the Mediterranean against people smugglers to succeed.

“The position of Libya is clear,” Dabbashi has said in an interview with AFP. “As long as the European Union and some other countries are not dealing with the legitimate government as the sole representative of the Libyan people, they will not get any consent on our part.”

The draft resolution by the four EU members of the Security Council – permanent members France and the UK plus Lithuania and Spain – authorising the use of force inside Libya’s territorial waters by an EU naval flotilla against the smugglers requires Libya to give its consent to such action.

RELATED POSTS

Libya will not bear burdens of illegal immigration alone or be settlement area: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Euro Film Festival will be held in Tripoli from 24 to 28 November

Ironically, in a rare display of unity, both the Thinni government and its rival in Tripoli, have opposed the plan which would include destroying smugglers’ boats to prevent them being reused. The prime minister of the Tripoli regime, Khalifa Ghwell last week described it as “colonial thinking” and “completely unacceptable in the modern world”. The Europeans, he said, could not go back to the world of 1911 (the year Italy invaded and took the country from the Ottomans). The Libyans would defend its territorial waters and borders, he declared.

A month ago, Dabbashi called the plan “stupid”, complaining that the Beida government had not been consulted. The only way to deal with the problem, he said, was to provide arms to the government so that the Libyan army could take control of the west of the country from where the migrants were leaving for Europe.

Both sides are seen as using European concern about illegal migration and the tragedies that have occurred to try and force the EU into working purely with them alone.

The plan is in any event widely seen as unworkable. Destroying boats once used will not halt the flow because they already being seized, largely by the Italians, without effect because the smugglers can easily afford to replace them – mainly, it is said, from Tunisia and Turkey. Drying up the supply of boats in the first place might be more useful.

If anything it could well accelerate the flow with smugglers getting hold of even less seaworthy craft, knowing that the migrants will be picked up just a few kilometres off the coast.

The plan is also complicated by EU divisions over proposed quotas to take refugees arriving mainly in Italy and Malta and an EU agreement that make that migrants rescued by a vessel become the responsibility of the country to which it belongs.

The UK has refused to take part in any quota agreement. [/restrict]

Continue Reading
Tags: EUfeaturedIbrahim DabbashiLibyaUN

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Germany invites Skhirat UNSMIL Dialogue delegates to Berlin

Germany invites Skhirat UNSMIL Dialogue delegates to Berlin

Libya almost ceasing to be a functioning state: Leon

Libya almost ceasing to be a functioning state: Leon

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.