No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Government rejects HoR report of detainee torture

byNigel Ash
June 24, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

HRW logo
Tripoli, 23 June 2015:

The government has angrily rejected a report . . .[restrict]by Human Rights Watch whose investigators said they had found clear evidence of illegal detention, torture and abuse occurring in prisons under the control of the Ministry of Justice, the army and the security services.

Detainees included terror suspects, some of whom claimed to HRW that they had been tortured into giving false confessions, were denied visits from family and lawyers and had not been brought before a judge or been charged with any offences.

In a statement released in LANA, Justice Minister Al-Mabrouk Omran said that the report was inaccurate, vowed that the government would no longer cooperate with HRW and demanded the removal of the organisation’s local representative.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

HRW said in its report that the court system has broken down completely. It again called on Fatou Bensouda, the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court to launch investigations, as the court is empowered to do under UN Security Council Resolution 2174 of August last year. Bensouda has said that she lacks the resources to do so.

HRW’s MENA director, Sarah Leah Whitson said in a cover note to the document: “Government ministers, military commanders and prison directors should immediately declare a no-tolerance policy against torture and hold anyone who abuses detainees to account”.
She went on to warn “They should understand that they face a risk of international investigation and prosecution if they don’t call a halt to torture by the forces under their command”.
Between January  and April of this year, the Ministry of Justice gave HRW permission to visit Beida’s Garnada prison twice and the Kweifiyah prison complex in Benghazi, once. HRW investigators were allowed to interview the prisoners without the presence of prison officials.

HRW’s Hanan Salah told the Libya Herald: “We negotiated with each prison director and prison authority individually to be able to speak with detainees without the presence of guards. it was not always easy”.

HRW said that the detention centres visited were holding some 450 prisoners. Of those interviewed, 35 said that they had been tortured either upon their arrest, during their interrogation or subsequent detention. The most common torture was beating on the body and soles of the feet with plastic pipe.  HRW said that four detainees said that the confessions that they made under torture were subsequently broadcast on TV.

The abuse of those arrested was standard under the Qaddafi regime and appears to have continued since the revolution.

HRW told this newspaper that as and when it had the resources, it intended to extend its enquiry into the mistreatment of detainees elsewhere in Libya. However Hanan Saleh said that the organisation had yet to ask those in charge of prisons in Libyan Dawn-controlled areas for access to their detainees.

 

LCDF support banner

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: BeidaBenghazifeaturedGarnadagovernment deniaHRWKweifiyahLibyaprisontorture

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Thinni accuses former LIA chairman Breish of fraud

Fighting in Ajilat despite ceasefire

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.