No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata airbase attacked, IS claims responsibility

byMichel Cousins
July 7, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Misrata airbase bombing today (Photo: Social media)
Misrata airbase bombing today (Photo: Social media)

Misrata, 6 July 2015:

A MiG jet fighter and three other aircraft were destroyed at Misrata airbase this morning . . .[restrict]in an attack being claimed by the Islamic State.

In response, the Misrata forces carried out an airstrike on a site west of Sirte, at Al-Dahair, where IS are beleived to have a camp.

“The attack occurred at dawn while people were at prayer,” a source close to Misrata Municipal Council said, adding that the attackers had not fired at the aircraft but left a bomb, probably containing C-4 plastic explosive, under one of the planes. The fire had engulfed the other two and then spread to the MiG 25, the source explained.

RELATED POSTS

LAIP stalled Misrata cement factory committee meets to move the project forward

Following Qatari Elegancia’s contract: Audit Bureau stresses effective management of public funds, optimal use of management contracts‎

“Only the Mig 25 was in working order,” he continued. “The other three were malfunctioning and were not being used. But there are other working planes at the airbase, including a Mirage.”

In its announcement claiming responsibilty, IS showed pictures of two people who it said had broken into the airbase and blown up the planes which it claimed had been used to bomb Muslims in Sirte, Nufaliya and Harawa.

How the attackers managed to get into the airbase, which shares the same site as the civil airport, is unknown. An investigation has been set up and video footage is reportedly being examined.

Later this morning, in response to the incident, the Mirage was used to attack an IS camp west of Sirte, the source stated.

The attack is causing serious concern in Misrata. In recent months, IS has accused Misratans of being apostates and “enemies of God” and promised an onslaught of suicide and car bombings in the city. There have been a number of suicide attacks on checkpoints around Misrata, the most recent being at the end of May. For IS to get into a facility that should be completely protected suggests poor either security or growing IS capabilities, or both. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredISLibyaMisrata

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

HoR appoints offical to plan for transfer to Benghazi

Zliten hospital delivers quintets

Zliten hospital delivers quintets

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.