No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU promises support to Libyan municipalities while looking for help to end political crisis

byMichel Cousins
August 27, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
EU promises support to Libyan municipalities while looking for help to end political crisis

Libyan Mayors wih EU officials n Brussles today (Photo: EU Committee of the Regions)

By Libya Herald reporter.

Libyan Mayors wih EU officials n Brussles today (Photo: EU Committee of the Regions)
Libyan Mayors wih EU officials in Brussles today (Photo: EU Committee of the Regions)

Tunis, 9 July 2015:

Mayors from Benghazi, Zintan, Sebha and Gharyan as well two Libyan municipal coordinators met European . . .[restrict]officials in Brussels today as part of EU efforts to build relations between Libyan municipalities and Europe as well as further encourage them to take a leading role in ending the current political crisis.

The specific aim of the one-day meeting, organised by the EU’s Committee of the Regions and members of the Euro-Mediterranean Regional and Local Assembly (ARLEM), was to foster cooperation between Libyan and European mayors and to integrate Libyan municipalities into planning and projects within the European/Mediterranean area.

The meeting was designed to build on the relationships created last March when over 30 mayors met EU Foreign Policy chief Federica Mogherini and other EU officials in Brussels and discussed the role they could have in pushing for a peace deal to end the Libyan crisis.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

In a message from Mogherini today, the smaller group of mayors were told that the EU would soon launch “an ambitious programme” of support for several municipalities local government issues and delivery of services as well as crisis and post-crisis planning and economic development.

Mogherini also said that she admired the way the municipalities had already taken a lead in trying to end the current crisis with their own local moves at reconciliation.

“The fact that you have remained in contact and put differences aside to discuss and agree important measures like ceasefires and prisoner exchanges is something for which I wish to express my admiration and recognition,” she said.

So as to develop ties between Libyan and EU municipalities, which the Libyan mayors said they wanted to do, it was announced today that Libyan participants would be invited as observers to the next ARLEM session in Nicosia in January 2016.

“Through a genuine partnership and active participation within ARLEM, we wish to initiate a new dynamic cooperation which can assist with building administrative capacity to facilitate economic, social and territorial development in Libya,” said CoR president Markku Markkula.

Those Libyans present at the Brussels meeting today were Benghazi Mayor Omar Barasi, Mustafa Baruni (Zintan), Yousif Budeiri (Gharyan), Hamid Al-Khal (Sebha) along with Abdelrauf Beitelmal (focal point of the Working Group representing a number of Libyan municipalities, set as coordination and follow-up mechanism with the UN and the EU after the meeting held in Brussels on 23-24 March within in the framework of the UN-led Libyan dialogue process) and Allam Al-Fallah (Political Advisor of Mayors of Eastern Region of Libya). [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziEuropean UnionfeaturedGharyanLiobyaSebhaZliten

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Delegates back in Skhirat, waiting to see if GNC team turns up

BREAKING NEWS: Army launches big counterattack in Benghazi

BREAKING NEWS: Army launches big counterattack in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.