No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL chief Leon briefs Security Council

byNigel Ash
July 16, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Bernardino Leon: stark warning
UNSMIL’S Bernardino Leon (File photo)

Tripoli, 15 July 2015:

UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon today delivered an upbeat report to the members of the United Nations . . .[restrict]Security Council, even though he stressed that the peace accord initialed three days ago in Skirhat was only the beginning of a long process.

Leon made a point of saying that the door still remained open to the General National Congress to overturn their refusal to initial the agreement.

Of the GNC itself he said he wished “to emphasise and acknowledge their important role in developing this text. This agreement is also the fruit of their hard work, and they should not be on the sidelines as this shared vision for a solution to the crisis continues to take shape”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

While Leon that that it should be clearly understood that the Skirhat agreement would not be amended further, he held out the opportunity for the GNC to play a role in the formation of what is now being called the Government of National Accord and also to contribute to the annexes to the agreement which have yet to be finalised.

Though he did not mention the sanction word, Leon urged: “Spoilers should be held accountable, as they bear the responsibility of hindering the political agreement. Once again,” he added, “we must join together and send an unequivocal message that only through dialogue and political compromise, can a peaceful resolution of the conflict be achieved”.

Leon said that his talks with militia leaders, in what UNSMIL calls the “security track” would continue and he expected to hold a meeting in “the coming weeks” in Egypt.  He said that before the final signing of the agreement, he intended to call a meeting of all “security actors”.

Meanwhile he deplored the upsurge of fighting in Benghazi following the assault by the Benghazi Revolutionary Shura Council last week. He said that UNSMIL should focus more clearly on bring an end to the fighting, which he believed that neither side could win.

He also expressed concern at the plight of refugees who have fled to the south. In Obari and Ghat, the humanitarian effort to help the locals as well as the internally displaced was underfunded and hampered by the security situation.

Saying he was encouraged by the release of prisoners following local peace deals in the west, he demanded that all people detained illegally, should be set free without delay.

“I have urged all parties to do so before the end of Ramadan” he said, “Such measures are not only a matter of human rights: they would contribute significantly to facilitating the next phase of the political dialogue and to reconciliation”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGNCLeonLibyaSecurity Council brief

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Army fights on in Benghazi’s Leithi with limited progress

Army fights on in Benghazi's Leithi with limited progress

Benghazi GECOL engineers work on under risk of sniper fire

Benghazi GECOL engineers work on under risk of sniper fire

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.