No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Renewed Tuareg-Tebu clashes in Sebha

byMichel Cousins
July 25, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Renewed Tuareg-Tebu clashes in Sebha

A shot of the Sebha battle taken on Friday (Photo: social media)

By Mustafa Khalifa.

A shot of the Sebha  battle taken on Friday (Photo: social media)
A shot of the Sebha battle taken on Friday (Photo: social media)

Ghat, 20 July 2015:

Despite a truce agreement at the weekend, there have been fresh clashes in Sebha’s Tiwari district today . . .[restrict]between local Tuareg and Tebu fighters. Reports speak of wounded Tebus, as well as members of the Qaddafa tribe who are now said to be fighting alongside them, being taken to El-Fil oilfield and from there airlifted to Tobruk for treatment.

Leaders from both communities agreed a seven-day truce in the district on Saturday following earlier bloody clashes between the two last week. On Thursday alone at least six fighters were reported killed.

The aim of the truce, mediated by other elders in the town, was to enable streets in the district, where both communities live side by side, to reopen and residents who fled the fighting to return home. They have been housed in local schools.

RELATED POSTS

CBL Board hold second 2025 meeting in Sebha, discusses revenues, foreign exchange and banking services

Libyan and Tunisian dates companies meet in Sebha to explore international export cooperation

The truce was further intended to permit the evacuation of the wounded and others in need of treatment to the local hospital. It was also hoped that it would result negotiations for a permanent end to the feuding between the two communities which, since it flared up again in Sehba a week ago, has resulted in more than two dozen people killed.

The Ministry of Social Affairs has meanwhile called on the international community to provide humanitarian aid to the hundreds of displaced families. There have also been calls to human rights organisations to investigate the fighting, in particular claims of ethnic cleansing in the town, and on the government to send in a neutral force to pacify the district.

However, a spokesman for Misrata’s Third Force, based in Sebha, has been reported saying that it was difficult to intervene between the Tebu and Tuaregs because the area where the clashes have been taking place have the communities too living together.

Throughout the south, efforts to bring about a peace have remained hostage to continuing mistrust between the two groups. Two days ago in Obari, 200 kilometres west of Sebha and where the current conflict between the two started last September, the Ramadan truce collapsed with three people killed in renewed fighting. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaSebha

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Italian technicians kidnapped

Italian technicians kidnapped

New head of Air Force operations appointed

New head of Air Force operations appointed

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.