No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Stevens murder suspect was Guantanamo detainee

byNigel Ash
September 21, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Part of Abu Sufian Bin Qumu’s Guantanamo file (Wikileaks)

Tripoli 21 September:

A suspect in the US consulate attacks that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three colleagues has been . . .[restrict]named as Abu Sufian Ibrahim Ahmed Hamuda Bin Qumu, according to Fox News of the US.

Describing Bin Qumu as “a solid lead” the US TV station said: “US intelligence sources tell Fox that he may not only have had a role in the attack at the US consulate, he may have actually led it.”

Derna-born Bin Qumu was held in Guantanamo Bay for six years, where his behaviour was described as uncooperative and aggressive, before being released from detention in 2007, on condition that he continued to be detained by Libyan authorities. In 2010, however, he was released from Abu Salim prison as part of an amnesty for anti-regime prisoners.

RELATED POSTS

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

According the 2005 file on the suspect compiled by the US during his Guantanamo detention and released by Wikileaks, the assessment of Bin Qumu stated: “the detainee poses a medium to high risk, as he is likely to pose a threat to the US, its interests and allies.”

The irony is that when he headed the resistance in Derna during the revolution, he was hailed by some US politicians as a hero. After the downfall of the Qaddafi regime, it is thought that he established the Libyan branch of the group Ansar al-Sharia (Soldiers of Sharia) which has been widely-implicated in the attack.

In his secret Guantanamo file which surfaced via Wikileaks in 2011, Bin Qumu was assessed as: “A former member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG), a probable member of Al Qaida, and a member of the North African Extremist Network (NAEN).” The report also states that the Libyan Government itself considered him to be a “dangerous man with no qualms about committing terrorist acts. He was known as one of the extremist commanders of the Afghan Arabs.”

Before his involvement with militant Islamic groups, his file states Bin Qumu had a history of illegal activities. It reported that in 1993, aged 35, Qumu escaped from prison in Libya, where he was serving a ten-year sentence for crimes including murder, armed assault and drug-dealing. He headed to Egypt and then Afghanistan, where he apparently trained at Osama Bin Laden’s Torkham Camp, before embarking on a career of involvement with extremist groups, spending time in Sudan and Pakistan.

He is said to have gone under seven known aliases, one of which was, according to the Guantanamo file: “Found on a list of probable Al-Qaida personnel receiving monthly stipends. His alias was also found on Al-Qaida’s 11 September attacks financier Mustafa Al Hawsawi’s laptop as an Al-Qaida member receiving family support.”
When he was interviewed last year by a reporter from the New York Review of Books, he was described as a recluse, “convinced that Western intelligence agencies are still hunting him.”

Sporting combed-down hennaed hair and nursing a Kalashnikov, in further irony Bin Qumu apparently hailed the US “as a protector of the weak” and pronounced the US-led bombardment as “a gift from God.”

Bin Qumu, diagnosed in his Guantanamo fileas having “a non-specific personality disorder” and latent tuberculosis, for which he refused treatment, is reportedly still living in his hometown of Derna.

At least 50 individuals involved in the US consulate assault have reportedly been identified, of which last week some 12 were said to have been arrested. The Libyan government has also issued an order to disband Ansar al-Sharia.

In June this year, the group staged an armed attack on the Tunisia Embassy in Benghazi, ripping down the Tunisian flag. Earlier in the month they had organised an armed rally in the streets of Benghazi, demanding the full implementation of Sharia Law in Libya.
[/restrict]

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Thousands demonstrate against militias, violence and disorder

The Libyan Iron and Steel Company restarts hot strip mill

The Libyan Iron and Steel Company restarts hot strip mill

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.