No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Highlight of the government’s weekly press conference

bySami Zaptia
March 13, 2020
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 7 June 2012:

by Sami Zaptia.

–          Airport attack

–          Benghazi US consulate attack

–          No new news regarding Saif and Senussi

RELATED POSTS

Libya signs MoU with two foreign companies to invest in Tripoli International Airport

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

–          Libya is a . . .[restrict]state where the law now operates

–          No one above the law – even the NTC

–          The information war

 

Yesterday’s official weekly government press conference was dominated by the attack on Tripoli International Airport and the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi.

Although official spokesperson for the Prime Minister, Nasser Al-Mana , did his best to try and distract the general public away from the two biggest events of the week by making the media sit through nearly an hour of routine news before making his way to these attacks.

Tripoli Airport attack

Al-Mana said that ‘government institutions had no knowledge of the whereabouts of the missing person’, the Tarhuna military commander Abu-Ajilah Habshi, who was kidnapped by unknowns on Tripoli Airport road last Sunday. This was given as the reason by the Tarhuna militias for their attack on Tripoli Airport.

Nevertheless, he ‘condemned the kidnapping of anyone’ and he equally condemned ‘any attack on any public institution for any reason’.

The spokesperson revealed that the government had given orders to the Interior Ministry and the Army to use force against anyone who attacks government institutions. He confirmed that the airport was reclaimed within hours and that arrests were made and vehicles were held.

He pointed out that both Tarhuna Military and Local Councils had distanced themselves from this brigade from Tarhuna.

A committee had been formed to investigate the incident. Investigations were continuing.

When challenged by journalists as to how such a relatively small group of militias were able to occupy Tripoli airport, and how they were not spotted en route to the airport, the spokesperson admitted that ‘mistakes were made’ and that the government ‘should learn from these mistakes’.

For more on this story see:  https://www.libyaherald.com/exclusive-new-details-emerge-about-tripoli-airport-siege-as-libya-herald-gains-access-to-metiga-airbase

https://www.libyaherald.com/tarhouna-militia-take-control-of-tripoli-airport-fighting-with-government-forces-ongoing-for-control/

And https://www.libyaherald.com/tahouna-military-leader-kidnapped/

 

Benghazi attack

The spokesperson had nothing new to add to the incident of the attack on the US consulate building in Benghazi. He confirmed it was some kind of homemade device and that it had hit the outside wall of the consulate causing little damage. He had no evidence of the people behind the attack. He said investigations were continuing.

For more on this story see: https://www.libyaherald.com/islamist-militants-claim-responsibility-for-attack-on-us-mission

And https://www.libyaherald.com/attack-on-us-diplomatic-office-in-benghazi-comes-24-hours-after-death-of-libyan-al-qaeda-commander/

 

Abdullah Al-Senussi will be put on trial in Libya

When asked about the latest regarding Abdullah Al-Senussi, Qaddafi’s brother-in-law and former head of intelligence, Al-Mana said that there was no change in the situation. Libya still demanded his handover by Mauritania to face a fair and just trial, and that Mauritania was willing to hand him over. He confirmed that he will be put on trial in Libya soon.

 

Saif Al-Islam is still in Libya

The official spokesperson denied categorically the rumour that Saif Al-Islam had escaped to Niger or any other neighbouring country.  He confirmed he was still in Libya.

He confirmed that he will be put on trial in Libya soon.

 

More prisons and courts are ready and operational

The spokesperson announced that the Ministry of Justice reported that the second batch of members of the Justice Police had graduated. These are the official security personnel responsible for security at Libya’s prisons and courts.

He also pointed out the regular media reports of an increasing number of prisons being handed over to the government by militias.

He admitted, however, that because of ‘exceptional circumstances‘ quite a few state prisons or prisoners were still being secured by militias. He felt that the circumstances were now quickly changing as the state was slowly re-establishing itself and taking more and more control with each passing day.

 

‘The law’ is now in operation in Libya

Al-Mana also reviewed the two prominent court cases of the week of Qaddafi’s last foreign intelligence head, Abu Zaid Dorda, and the appeal against Law 37, which bans the glorification of Qaddafi and his ideas.

The spokesperson was eager to highlighting the fact that Libya’s court system was now operational and stressed that Libya was now a state of the law.

On the other hand he was also at pains to point out that in the new Libya the highest legislative arm of the state, the NTC, was being challenged in court over Law No 37.

Linking this to the airport attack and the various other military attacks over the last month, he appealed to Libyans to seek redress for their perceived grievances through the law courts that were now operating, and not by the use of violence.

For more on Law 37 see: https://www.libyaherald.com/lawyers-hail-supreme-courts-law-37-review/

For more on the trail of Qaddafi’s last foreign intelligence head Abu Zaid Dorda see: https://www.libyaherald.com/dorda-trial-opened-and-adjounred/

 

Is there a link between all these acts of violence?

Linking the various events of disorder and armed attacks on government institutions as well as the attacks on Tripoli airport, the US consulate in Benghazi and the destruction of non-Muslim grave tombstones a few months ago, Al-Mana denied that there was a pattern or that they were connected or that they were carried out by the same group.

 

It’s an information war…

Al-Mana warned the media and the general public against the media war being conducted by the enemies of the new Libya. He warned against false facts and allegations such as the claim that Saif Al-Islam Qaddafi had escaped to a neighbouring country.

The spokesperson warned that the more stable and secure Libya became, the more effort its enemies made in an attempt to de-stabilize it.

 

Integrity and Patriotism Commission

The spokesperson confirmed that prominent members of the government had now handed in the forms sent by the Integrity and Patriotism Commission.

Last week, the Integrity and Patriotism Commission complained that numerous prominent members of the government had not handed in these forms in which they declare their assets.

 

New ‘Silvium’ undersea communications cable to Greece

The spokesperson announced that a new undersea communications cable called ‘silvium’ will be laid between Derna in north eastern Libya and Greece. This will hopefully help improve communications.

Meanwhile, he stressed that the Ministry of Communications is doing its best to improve the communications infrastructure damaged during the Revolution in all towns and cities.

 

HNEC warns against commencement of election campaigns

The spokesperson relayed the press release by the High National Election Commission (HNEC) in which it warned candidates against starting their election campaigns prior to it releasing the final list of accepted candidates.

See the HNEC ‘s new English language website for more on Libya’s elections: www.hnec.ly [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah SenussiLibyaLibya newsnewsNTCSaif Al-IslamSenussitripoli airportUS consulate

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
French celebrate Bir Hakim’s 70th anniversary

French celebrate Bir Hakim's 70th anniversary

Libyan-Tunisian cooperation conference in Djerba

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.