No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Private security firm G4S rejects claims it plans to work in Libya without government authorisation

byGeorge Grant
May 24, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant

Tripoli, 24 May:

The British private security company, G4S, has rejected allegations made earlier this month that it will begin . . .[restrict]operating in Libya without authorisation from the Libyan government.

The claims were made in a number of papers in Brussels and Libya, including the Libya Herald, when it was reported that the company had secured a €10 million contract to provide security to the European Union (EU) mission in Tripoli.

It was alleged that both G4S and the EU had decided to begin the contract, which would have put armed foreign nationals on Libyan soil, without the permission of the Libyan government because the legal framework ordinarily required to secure authorisation for such contracts was not in place.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Speaking to the Libya Herald, Richard Northern, a consultant with G4S and the former British ambassador to Libya, confirmed that the company had approached the government to secure authorisation to work in Libya, but had been informed that licenses to foreign security companies were no longer being issued. “We learned that it was no longer possible to get the paperwork companies like ours needed to operate in Libya before last year’s uprising, and that the current transitional government was not issuing security lisences”, Northern said.

However, Northern rejected the suggestion that the absence of a proper legal framework had led G4S and the EU to conclude that it was acceptable to begin operations in Libya without government approval.

“We will not go ahead without government approval”, he said, adding that he understood the government was keen to ensure the private security sector was properly regulated in Libya, “which is understandable”.

Northern also rejected a claim widely repeated in the media that the contract awarded to G4S by the EU was for €10 million. “The contract G4S was awarded in April was for nothing like €10 million”, Northern insisted. “This is a six month contract to provide security for EU staff in Tripoli… I don’t know the exact figures, but I would be surprised if it runs into the millions of euros at all. Even that contract is now in doubt, because the Libyan government may not give their consent to its going ahead”.

Northern suggested that the claims about the size of the contract and suggestions it would begin working in Libya without government approval may have been started by a rival company that lost out on the bid.

He added that the EU contract was in any case “a side project”. “We would like to work with the government in bigger areas where it faces a range of challenges”, he said. “G4S has expertise in areas including the professional and humane management of detention centres, providing security for ports and airports, and safely transferring cash from banks to ATMs”.

“We are in the early stages of discussions with the Libyan government about this, but they have said they’re interested. We would like to employ a number of Libyan nationals, and transfer skills to them so that Libya can take the management of these areas on independently in the future. This is an area in which we believe G4S could make a real difference”, he said.

When asked if G4S had any active operations in Libya at present, Northern confirmed that it did not.

 

 

 

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Protestors claim torture at Tripoli's Ain Zara prison

Paris court investigates alleged complicity in Libya torture by French company

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.