No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Under assault, Tunisian government insists Mahmoudi extradition was above board

byMichel Cousins
June 26, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Under assault, Tunisian government insists Mahmoudi extradition was above board

Qaddafi's last premier Baghdadi Al-Mahmoudi being led to jail

By Michel Cousins.

Qaddafi’s last premier, Baghdadi Al-Mahmoudi, being led to detention in Libya

Tripoli, 26 June:

The Tunisian government has categorically denied that there was any financial deal behind the delivery of the . . .[restrict]Qaddafi regime’s last prime minister, Baghdadi Al-Mahmoudi, to the Libyan authorities on Sunday. At a press conference, Tunisia’s Justice Minister Noureddine Bhiri and its Human Rights and Transitional Justice Minister Samir Dilou insisted that the decision to hand over Mahmoudi had been “transparent” and above board.

“The extradition process took place after completion of all legal justifications by the relevant judicial authorities”, Dilou said.

Suspicions of a deal surfaced  in Tunisia after reports of a Libyan offer to assure it of oil supplies at below market price and make a multi-million dollar cash injective into its economy.  The offer was made during the visit to Tunis a month ago by Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib and a number of his cabinet colleagues. Libya’s demand that Mahmoudi be handed over to face charges of corruption and inciting Qaddafi forces to rape women during last year’s revolution were discussed during the visit.

RELATED POSTS

Libya, Algeria and Tunisia agree on further cooperation on land transport

REAoL delegation participates in MeetMED Week 2024 in Tunisia

The decision to hand over Mahmoudi has deeply divided Tunisia and threatens to bring down its government.  President Moncef Marzouki has denounced the move as “illegal” and said that Tunisian Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali who took the decision had “overstepped his prerogatives” and would be held personally responsible for anything that happened to Baghdadi.

It is “the start of a grave governmental crisis” disclosed presidential spokesman Adnen Mansar.

Today, Tuesday, in an indication of the scale of the crisis, other opposition parties in the constituent assembly rallied to the president’s support and staged a walk out in protest at the extradition. The walk out by 73 deputies followed a bitter row when the speaker refused to allow a debate on the subject.

It is difficult to see the issue being easily resolved.

Marzouki leads Tunisia’s center-left Congress for the Republic (CPR), one of the three parties in the governing coalition led by the moderate Islamist Ennahda party. It came first in last October’s elections.  CPR came second and the other party in the coalition, Ettakatol (also centre-left), came third.  But there is now a serious possibility that Marzouki will pull his party out of the government. He has built his reputation as a defender of human rights and has made it clear that that as far as he is concerned, Ennahda has ridden roughshod over them.

If he does, Ettakatol will probably leave as well. Its leader, Mustapha Ben Jaafar, is the speaker who refused today’s debate and clearly wants to avoid a crisis.  But four of his members joined the walk out. Even if it sticks with Ennahda, the government would still collapse if the CPR quits the coalition.

A motion of no confidence in Jebali is now being planned.

However, not all Tunisians agree with the president. There are voices that support the decision, linking it to Tunisia’s own demand that Saudi Arabia extradite its former president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.

For its part, the increasingly isolated Ennahda has accused its opponents of trying to defend a criminal. Dilou, too, has insisted that Prime Minister Jebali had been fully within his rights to sign the extradition decision.

Meanwhile in Tripoli, Salah Darhoub, the new NTC spokesman, has said that the authorities have began their investigations of Mahmoudi.

Thanking the Tunisian government and people for handing him over to Chief of Staff Yousef Mangoush and representatives from the Ministry of Justice, Darhoub said the former prime minister was in good health and that he was now being held in a prison controlled by the Ministry of Justice.  Seemingly oblivious to the row in Tunisia, he also thanked the Tunisian president for the handover.

The Libyan government have also today dismissed claims by Mahmoudi’s French lawyer, Marcel Ceccaldi, that his client had been beaten up and then treated in hospital after arriving back in Libya.

“I completely deny reports that Mahmudi was assaulted,” Deputy Justice Minister Khalifa Ashur was quoted as saying.

A firm denial too came from Hisham Al-Atiri, the doctor assigned to look after him on a daily basis at the detention centre where he is being held. “There were no signs of beatings. He only has diabetes and no other condition,” he told AFP. [/restrict]

Tags: Baghdadi Al-MahmoudifeaturedLibyaTunisia

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Dorda Trial delayed a second time

Ancient pots show Libyans yoghurt-making 7,000 years ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.