No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zliten Military Council members kidnapped

byMichel Cousins
April 27, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hassan Zliten.

Zliten, 26 April:

The Zliten Revolutionaries’ Brigade has said that four members of Zliten’s Supreme Security Committee were seized on Tuesday . . .[restrict]by one of the military battalions from Bani Walid, the Al Fatah battalion, which is part of Brigade 93. The four were taken while on their way to Sebha on a security mission. They have been named as Moammar Fituri Joha, Ibrahim Muftah Ashour, Mohamed Amar Ehmadi and Faraj Mahfoud EJfilah.

According to a source from the Zliten brigade, the Fatah Battalion is demanding Zliten hand over 20 people from Bani Walid detained in Zliten.  The Zliten Revolutionaries say they refuse to refuse to do so, claiming that the Bani Walid battalion is run by ex-Qaddafi fighters. They also accuse them of kidnapping the four in revenge for Zliten’s involvement in the liberation of Bani Walid.

The Zliten brigade say they has been mobilized and deployed in the Bir Dofan and Sweih areas between the town and Bani Walid.  They have given Al-Fatah battalion a specific time to hand over Zlitan detainees.  They also claim that town elders in Bani Walid have promised to help try and release the four men but that the Al-Fatah battalion are refusing to do so.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Up till today, Thursday, the four are still held.

Zliten says the Bani Walid brigade has accused its forces of looting when they entered the town last year and have demanded the return of all stolen goods including cars, cash and livestock as the price for the men’s freedom.

The Zliten battalion says that the NTC and government have been informed of the situation and asked to intervene. Zliten’s NTC member, Khaled Shakshak, has confirmed that the NTC had contacted Bani Walid elders and that the council was sending a delegation there to resolve the situation peacefully.

The NTC is seen as having little if any control over Bani Walid brigades or the town because the military council and local council remain until this moment outside the town, in Misrata.  They have been there since 23 January when 18 members of battalions from Souq Al-Juma were killed in a fight with men from Bani Walid. The killers remain at large despite Souq Al-Juma handing the government a list of some 30 names believed to be responsible.

The members of the two councils, regarded as pro-government in Bani Walid, fear their lives would be in danger if they return.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libyans start training in Jordan

Moves for justice and accountability

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.