Sirte, April 2: Some 8,000 homes in Sirte damaged or destroyed during the fighting last year have now been assessed for . . .[restrict]compensation. The head of the Supreme Committee for Damage Assessment in Sirte, Dr Khalifa Shawish, said on Monday that the committee had completed an inventory and assessed costs.
Four engineering consulting firms working for the committee had now established the costs of rebuilding each house in order to compensate the owners, Shawish said.
According to the committee’s Dr Ahmed Garbaj, the city’s local council had begun plans to build new projects within the city as well as construct new homes in the suburbs.
No figures have been released as to the costs of rebuilding but on current housing construction prices 8,000 homes would cost at least half a billion dinars. This is, however, just a part of the rebuilding costs of Sirte, which was the most heavily damaged place in the country during last year’s battles.
Last November, when the then Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril estimated the cost of rebuilding Libya at $400 billion, Sirte was said to account for the single largest proportion of that sum. [/restrict]