It is reported in Ukraine that 23 Ukrainians and two Russians citizens who were detained in August last year on suspicion . . .[restrict]of working for Qaddafi’s army have been acquitted by Libyan military prosecutors.
There has been no confirmation at yet, neither from the Libyan authorities nor from Ukrainian diplomats. However a Ukrainian newspaper Segodnya has said it has been in touch with the Ukrainians in Libya who said they were still being held but had been told they would be freed.
“However, no one has told us yet when will we be sent back home,” one of the Ukrainians was quoted saying. They have reportedly been told that they have to await a decision by NTC chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil to whom a report had been sent.
According to the Russian-language, Kiev-based paper, the decision to acquit the men was taken last month. In a report yesterday it quoted a Ukrainian human rights activist saying that “ten days ago, the Libyan military prosecutor’s office completed an inquiry into the activities of 23 arrested Ukrainians and two Russians. The conclusion of the Libyan law enforcement agencies is definite: our citizens were not involved in a military confrontation between Qaddafi and the rebels, and have never worked for the military”.
The activist, named as Stanislav Selivanov, said he had been informed by sources in Libya.
Last week the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry announced that three Ukrainians had been released in Libya and sent home.
“Three Ukrainians have indeed returned from Libya recently – namely a woman from Ukraine, who was among those detained in Tripoli, and two other Ukrainian citizens that were detained by Libyans during the active military phase. Ukrainian diplomats strived to free them,” said Ukrainian Foreign Ministry spokesman Oleksandr Dykusarov on March 29.
The remaining Ukrainians still being held all claim to be civilians who were working in the oil industry. [/restrict]