Tripoli, June 4:
The Ministry of Defence’s Security Support Division arrested 50 Egyptian workers who had entered Libya illegally on Sunday. They were . . .[restrict]caught near Ajdabiya.
According to an investigation officer from the division, Jamal Haddad, the group were being driven in five vehicles from Egypt. The divers, said to be Libyans, had been paid LD 1,600 per vehicle to take the Egyptians to Gharian.
Jamal said that the Libyan authorities had been tipped off about the convoy and that it had been followed and then stopped. He said that before that happened, shots had been fired from the vehicles but that no one had been hurt.