No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Senussi questioned by Lebanese over Sadr disappearance before being extradited

byMichel Cousins
December 12, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Imam Musa Sadr

Tripoli, . . .[restrict]7 September 2012:

Shortly before he was extradited to Libya, Abdullah Senussi was questioned in Mauritania by a Lebanese team led by the country’s Foreign Minister about the disappearance in Libya in 1978 of Lebanese cleric Sheikh Musa Sadr.

Lebanese Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour along with Lebanese judge Hasan Shami and Foreign Ministry official Haitham Joumaa, interviewed the former Libyan intelligence chief last Sunday, Lebanese government sources are reported as saying.

Sadr, along with a colleague, Sheikh Mohammad Yaacoub, and Lebanese journalist Abbas Badreddine, went missing in Libya on 31 August, 1978. They had been invited to Tripoli by Muammar Qaddafi for the annual anniversary of his 1 September coup nine years earlier.

It is widely believed that the three were murdered on Qaddafi’s personal orders after he and the imam had an argument.

RELATED POSTS

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Senussi is seen as key to finding out what happened. However, when interrogated by the three Lebanese this week, he reportedly gave no significant information about the case.

A number of Lebanese cling to the view that Sadr and his two companions are still alive and continue to be held in detention in Libya — despite all the anecdotal evidence otherwise, as well as there being no reason at all why post-revolution Libya would not have released them, if they were still alive and in prison.

Among those convinced are Foreign Minister Mansour – “We are certain that Imam Musa Sadr and his companions are alive and will soon be released” he told reporters while in Tehran last month — and  the judge who questioned Senussi this week. Judge Shami is a member of the Lebanese government committee tasked with investigating the case.

His similarly bizarre view is based on the fact that there is no conclusive evidence that Sadr is dead.  “We believe that Imam Sadr is still alive, because it has been confirmed that the imam did not leave Libya and also because there has been no proof of his death,” Shami said in a TV interview.

It is now being reported in Lebanon that the authorities there there have been informed by their Libyan counterparts that ten Libyans have been arrested and are being interrogated about Sadr’s disappearance. The ten are said to include army officers.

The widely respected Lebanese newspaper The Daily Star today, Friday, reported a Lebanese judicial source as saying: “The arrested officers are not necessarily among those who took part in the kidnapping, but were bodyguards of prominent former Libyan regime figures who are believed to know the fate of Imam Sadr.”

There is, however, no confirmation of any such arrest from the Attorney-General’s office in Tripoli.

The Lebanese team has also asked to interrogate Saif Al-Islam.  It is reported in Beirut that their requests have so far met with no reply. [/restrict] [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Interview: Minister of Justice reflects on his term of office

Italy to train Libyan air traffic controllers

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.