By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.
Tripoli, 10 September:
The leader of Libya Shield Forces in east of the country, Wisam Bin Hamid, has denied reports that . . .[restrict]his forces were involved in the attack on a Sufi shrine on Friday in Rajma, south east of Benghazi.
Three people, all Salafists, were killed by locals when they tried to destroy the shrine of Sidi Ellafi.
“The news is false”, he is quoted as saying. The reason for the presence of the Shield forces, he said, was to rescue those injured in the clashes.
It is now reported that 13 people, were wounded in the incident, three of them seriously. Most are said to be Salafists.
Bin Hamid said that his forces had not been present when the clashes started. However, when they arrived and tried to to rescue the wounded, some of their vehicles were then attacked and burned by local residents.
The Shield forces would provide further details about the incident, he said. He added that a committee had been set up, comprising representatives from his forces, the interior ministry and local leaders, to negotiate with the local citizenry about taking into custody and questioning those who had attacked Salafists. [/restrict]