By Michel Cousins.
Tripoli, 8 October:
A Lebanese team investigating the 1979 disappearance of Iman Musa Sadr and his two colleagues is due to arrive . . .[restrict]in Tripoli tomorrow, Tuesday.
Headed by Lebanese judge Hassan Shami, the team plans to stay in Libya for a week during which time they will meet with Libyan judicial officials and look into new information on this case.
According to Foreign Ministry spokesman Saad Elshlmani, the team will meet with the Minister of Justice, Ali Ashour Ehmida and the Prosecutor-General, Abdulaziz Al-Hassadi.
The team had been expected to arrive a fortnight ago.
Lebanese Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour last month said that information had come to light indicating that the Qaddafi regime had lied about the case and tried to prevent the Lebanese from finding out what had happened.
“We are now in a new situation with the new Libyan authorities which is dealing with us positively,” Mansour had said. ”They are providing the Lebanese side with all the information needed.”
Shami is a member of the Lebanese government committee tasked with investigating the case. He is also one of a number of Lebanese figures who continue to believe that Sadr is still alive and in jail in Libya.
“We believe that Imam Sadr is still alive, because it has been confirmed that the imam did not leave Libya and also because there has been no proof of his death,” he said on Lebanese TV not long ago.